4.1 block

Heskahoka

Supporting Member
Hi everyone, new member (newbie) here.
I bought a 87 GN about a month ago and it turns out that the current 3.8 engine has to go. Long story, but during the registration process, it was discovered that the engine had its VIN removed and is probably stolen. So I am looking to build a 4.1 motor for it instead. So..looking for a 4.1 block or short block.

Thanks.

PM dr_frankenstien (Aj) on the board and he can get you in touch with a bunch of the Buick guys in lost causes.;) That may help you some.

Thanks Charlief1, I have already introduced myself the the Las Cruces (Lost Causes);) folks. Will reach out to dr_frankenstien to see if he has some local leads.
I am also bugging Nick Micale to do the build; not enough expertise here in Albuquerque. So far he has been real helpful.

Nick is one of the good guys and 99% of the time will help. Just don't piss him off or you'll suffer his wrath.:p I've only seen him pissed once or twice but it wasn't pretty.;)

I think I have about 4 4.1 blocks but Im in Dayton, Ohio. Sounds like your in good hands!! Let me know if I can help. Mike

If your 3.8 block has an "SG1" cast into the side it is possible it is a factory replacement and will have no VIN. More than a few of these blew up over time.

Thanks 87GNSteve, I looked for that - heck I was pinning my hopes on that!:)

Someone went through some effort in grinding to remove the number. The police here even had the forensic team try some methods to recover the number with no result.

vin removed.jpg

I am really, really surprised the police even care about the VIN on the block. In the last 20-30 cars I have bought and sold I have never had anyone ever check the vin. And this has been 4 different states DMV's.

So, if I had replaced my engine because I blew it up, and decided to grind the VIN off since it no longer matches my car, if I were in your area I would have to pull the motor and give it to the police as evidence?

I guess it makes a little sense, if they were able to pull the old vin, and match a stolen block to the owner showing they either stole it or accepted stolen goods, I get that.

Interesting ordeal, that sucks for you... Sorry to see it.

Yeah, it sucks, the engine ran well and looked good in tear down, but I have made peace with the situation.

It could have been worse: Per our laws, the city could have theoretically impounded it for 6+ months with me having to go to court to try and save it from the crusher.

To his credit the Detective from the Auto Theft Unit has been very helpful in minimizing the damage. He is a car guy and within a week, got the car released from impound to my mechanic, worked with the city's attorney's office to try and keep the case out of court and has been proactive in trying to get it on the road again - which is what I am trying to do now.

All sympathy is appreciated ;).

I think I have about 4 4.1 blocks but Im in Dayton, Ohio. Sounds like your in good hands!! Let me know if I can help. Mike

Mike, I would appreciate if you would send me a 4.1 block.

If the OP, whose name is also Mike, wants it, that will work, I can always use it if he also comes up with one. :)

Since it weighs about 100#'s, if you box it I will send you a Fedex label for shipping, and a check for the block, thanks.

I just had to give up the block-I was allowed to keep the internals and externals. I need a 4.1 block to start, then will work with Nick to build from there.

Mike, I would appreciate if you would send me a 4.1 block.

If the OP, whose name is also Mike, wants it, that will work, I can always use it if he also comes up with one. :)

Since it weighs about 100#'s, if you box it I will send you a Fedex label for shipping, and a check for the block, thanks.

Nick, Im currently on vacation. I will get back with you!!! Mike

I have one here in cruces that I just repaired the cracks in the deck for.

also have one good stocker.

lemme know.