35- 50 MPH no power

Glen Cross

Ladies and gents,

I have a 1982 SC, and there seems to be a huge lack of power in all gears really, but really noticable when i punch the gas pedal, and especially around the 35 to 50 mph range, the engine sounds like it is going fast, but i am not moving... I took the exhaust off thinking it was a flow problem there, but it is still happening, when the engine and turb go to work, there is a pretty louding whistle coming from the Cat area, I am thinking the Cat maybe clogged. ANY SUGGESTIONS, HELP!

I am going to run compression tests this weekend and take the cat off to check, but before i start digging around in it, wanted to see if any of you have some pointers. Thanks !!
Glen

Nice looking car. :)

I would say it's most liklely a plugged converter. You should be able to unbolt it from the downpipe (square flange, four bolts). You don't need to remove it completely (the AIR tube is a pain to get off). Just loosen the bolts and seperate it maybe ½" from the conveter. That should let enough exhaust out to tell if its the converter or not.

Nice looking car. :)

I would say it's most liklely a plugged converter. You should be able to unbolt it from the downpipe (square flange, four bolts). You don't need to remove it completely (the AIR tube is a pain to get off). Just loosen the bolts and seperate it maybe ½" from the conveter. That should let enough exhaust out to tell if its the converter or not.

Awesome! thank you..
I almost took it off, but did see the tube and thought twice, so i decided to ask before i got under there:) I am selling it and want to give whoever buys it a good car for a good home, so needing to get this looked at asap...

Thanks for the comment about my car:)
Glen