300 SRT8 or GTO

'06 300 SRT8 or '06 GTO

• 300 SRT8

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • GTO

Votes: 41 53.2%

• Total voters
It's neck and neck. The 300 is one vote ahead! I found the GTO that I really like and am going to look at it tomorrow. Also have a lady working on a price for a 4000k mile SRT at a dealership that the company I work for built. Actually we've built 4 dealerships for them, so that gives me a little pull. We'll see what happens. I'm tending to lean towards the GTO right now. Partially due to price and partially due to the fact that I think the GTO will fit me better.

have you driven both yet or are you just going by looks? Drive them both first before you buy.

I bought a 300C SRT-8 in February and never looked back. What a great car. As far as size..it takes up no more room in my garage than the GN I used to have parked there. The car hauls ass. Ran 13.1's at 108 right out of the box.

Obviously the guy wasn't a good driver, because from a dig I've taken them before no problem and I drive a 6 speed. The 300 is a mash and go. By no problem I mean about 1/2 to a car of distance. The 300 puts up a good fight, but I think it's a couple 100 or 200 lbs. heavier and I know costs a heck of a lot more.

When you're sizing up the two, make sure the 300 has all of the options and not a stripped down one because a stripped down one can be fast, but without those options it's just a motor on wheels.

Good luck in whatever you choose. You can see here that both are good cars and you'll probably be happy with either one.

Gto

Take a Goat over the boat.

I like the 600hp setup Ken Dutweiller does on a Goat in Hotrod Sept. 2007, ported LS6 heads , a Magnuson 122 supecharger with a liquid to air IC that rest below blower, BBK 80mm TB, 65lb injectors,Razor alky, custom ground Crane roller cam 210/218, adj. Crane rockers 1.8:1, dual springs, titanium retainers, Dynatech headers, Borla 2.5" free flowing exhaust, 275/40 17 MT Et street radials, have all this done then paint it that wild orange that came on the 69 Judge, put on a rear spoiler, a hood tach , old school 69 Judge emblems/ decals and you have a Goat that can put the gavel down.

Most all the Rappers have a customized Chrysler 300 and chrome/platinum teeth to match the grill and the spinners on them 24" Dubs...that's how they Roll. Have never been a Chrysler/Dodge fan the SRT 8 however is very a nice car . Now if they ever produce the Challenger that would be the bomb that concept car was bad . I have a thing for sub 4000lb 2 door Muscle cars. Wouldn't say no to a 69 440 Dart Swinger.

It depends on what you want performance wise. The SRT 8 will be quicker off of the showroom floor. But once you get into modding the GTO has it beat hands down. The Chryslers are at a big disadvantage when it comes to tuning, there are probably close to 10 different tuning programs for GTO's, but nothing for SRT8's. There are a few piggy back systems that can give you a few horsepower, but nothing for custom tuning. I was looking at a Supercharged SRT8 in a magazine the other day & guess what they were using for fueling under boost??? A 9th injector, anyone care to remember the 7th injector setups for buicks from the past. ;)

A local guy brings a Super Bee to the cruises nights around here. His Turbo T is in the body shop. He's says he's not that impressed with the performance of the Super Bee compared to his T. My critique of the that line of Chryslers is the sides are too wide. The window sill is too high to put my arm on. I don't really care for the grill look either (hate the billet replacements too).

I'm not overly impressed with the GTO looks but I like them better with the recessed grille and hood scoops. At least that gives them some old GTO looks. The few I've sat in had a nice fit and finish to it.

I'll vote GTO

Obviously the guy wasn't a good driver, because from a dig I've taken them before no problem and I drive a 6 speed. The 300 is a mash and go. By no problem I mean about 1/2 to a car of distance. The 300 puts up a good fight, but I think it's a couple 100 or 200 lbs. heavier and I know costs a heck of a lot more.

When you're sizing up the two, make sure the 300 has all of the options and not a stripped down one because a stripped down one can be fast, but without those options it's just a motor on wheels.

Good luck in whatever you choose. You can see here that both are good cars and you'll probably be happy with either one.

There is no such thing as a stripped down SRT8 300

As an owner of a '06 GTO, I'm partial to the Goat (and voted accordingly). I thought about an SRT-8, but the cost and lack of an automatic drove me away. Rowing that six speed is a blast, and although it's no TR, the GTO moves pretty well.

To top it off, adding headers and getting a tune is supposed to add pretty decent rear wheel HP gains, and adding a cam and heads can result in more than 450 RWHP! If only, I had the money :redface:

Now if you want a really sweet GTO, there's a guy on ls1gto.com selling an '05 with a built motor and the APS twin turbo package. He's making almost 800 RWHP :eek:

Or you could just get a gangbanger 4 door car and add some 24s! <~ Just kidding, I actually do like the 300s

I bought an 04 GTO with the intention of modifying it with the money saved vs. buying an 05-06, and I did.

Just buttoned up a magnacharger installation (and some porting & tuning). Now, it's almost perfect ~500 crank hp.

The looks have grown on me and now I like the styling. They are pretty rare around here and the interiors are really, really nice. The only downsides? Radio won't crank but is good at moderate volume. No sunroof available factory, trunk is TINY, no onstar and most aftermarket chassis / interior / body stuff comes from AU where there is a BIG aftermarket. The wheel bolt pattern is the same as a BMW so the wheel selection is more european which I suppose suits the car anyway.

For a reasonable price, I have great reliability and would squarsh most cars out there and they'd never see it coming till I mash it and the blower starts to whine.

To me, the 300 appears more grandfatherly vs. a sporty 2 door GTO.

"new, full warrenty '06 300 srt for less than 30k out the door"

I'd buy one of those if I could find one too!

The dealership just called, the guys credit didn't go through, so now they want to go back to the deal they had with me for $30k out the door for the new 06 300 srt! I'm going to look at a 06 goat with fairly low miles tomorrow. Its a 6 speed and I should be able to get it for a decent price. If this falls through, then I may go back and buy the SRT.

would jump on that SRT a dealer offered me more than that on a trade in, blue book is around 38,000 and they have been trading around 32,000
Mike