3 bar MAP or not?

84GNwith87eng

Highly considering purchasing razor's alky kit...but I don't know if I need the 3-bar MAP or not? It says $75 reduction if not needed....how do I know if I need it or not? :confused:

stock GN with analog dash had a 2bar map sensor which wont read past 15psi so not good for an alky car

if you are running dfi or fast aftermarket engine management then you might have a 3bar already and wouldnt need to purchase another sensor

TTA came with 3bar so they dont need the sensor

you must be looking at an aftermarket boost gauge which most likely is mechanical and has a hose feeding it so what map you have makes no difference .

i didnt say you couldnt run past 15psi , what i said was your analog dash only reads to 15psi on the led meter and that meter is fed by a 2bar map .
now if you try to run past 15psi with alky , razors progressive alky controller uses the map sensor to determine boost level so if you try to get by on a 2bar map you wont get alky increase above 15psi .

if you really want to know what you have http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/mapsensor.htm

Oh, i gotcha. Even if I'm not using the map sensor to read boost, alky needs it to know when to kick in....i see i see

Much thanks

Chris

84GNwith87eng said:
how do I know if I need it or not? :confused:

You can also call the number listed on the website and the friendly person will explain it to you ;)

HTH

PS.. you'll need it :wink:

I have just Purchased a car with no Map Sensor. The Wiring is there can i Plug in a 3 Bar Map. Where do i plug the Vaccum into on the intake to get a good reading

if your car is digital dash from the factory those wires are dead and plugging in a sensor and hooking up vacuum wont do a thing ,

New to this Digital Dash Thing. I am looking at changing the Dash out. Can these be done and what do i have to do as for wiring in the other Dash?. I don't like the Digital Dash. Please Help. Has anyone done this? It has a ALKY Kit on it now i though the 3 bar Map would work better with ALKY.

if its not an alkycontrol.com alky kit i cant see what you would gain with a 3bar map sensor as his is the only one using one that i know of . the advantage of the 3bar comes with the use of the alkycontrol progressive controller as the 3bar allows for alky flow control up to 30psi of boost

digital to analog can and has been done before but its no small task and not for the novice , easiest is to get an anolog cluster , analog carrier , an analog dash harness and speedo cable assembly and drive gear for tranny and go to it .
harder would be to try to do without the analog dash harness and get the connectors for the analog dash cluster and tach and rewire the digital harness , you would need the service manual and some skills to pull this off