3/8" vacuum hose

PSU 98

I can't find this size around anywhere for my vacuum brake conversion, not even the good local parts stores carry it. Any suggestions on where to get some?

I used rubber hose rated for pcv. Usually the part stores have it on the spools in the back, by the foot.

Mike

I can't find this size around anywhere for my vacuum brake conversion, not even the good local parts stores carry it. Any suggestions on where to get some?

Per Nick Micale at ArizonaGN, it is best to use a 11/32" vacuum hose, which will not collapse on the inside. I had to order mine from the local NAPA. They got it in the same day I ordered it.

I hope this helps.

Rob

Dino - I was concerned that the fuel line would collapse. I know it's chemical resistant, but is it strong enough to handle vacuum?

Silver Fox - NAPA had 5/16" hose but I was worried that might be a little too small. Even the 3/8" seemed like a really tight fit.

Dino - I was concerned that the fuel line would collapse. I know it's chemical resistant, but is it strong enough to handle vacuum?

Silver Fox - NAPA had 5/16" hose but I was worried that might be a little too small. Even the 3/8" seemed like a really tight fit.

The 11/32 will work. It's a tight fit but will go on, and you won't have to worry about it collapsing. I tee'd mine into the PCV line. If you do that, use a 3/8 brass "T." I had another car with the boost coming from the vacuum block, but never cared for how the hose looked running from the block to the vacuum booster.

Nobody around here has it, I checked about five places today.

Most good auto parts stores will carry 11/32" brake/vacuum hose.

Not a good idea to use gas line as it can separate and fail from the inside, it is made for pressure, not vacuum. ;)

I'll look again for 11/32" hose tomorrow.
One more related question -- can I reuse the hardware (bushings, spacer, bolt) from the Powermaster brake pedal on the vacuum pedal, or are they different sizes?

The P/B vacuum line is sometimes difficult to find in stores. What I've done is to go to a U-pull-it yard and look for full size Chevy vans.

They have a piece that is about 3' in length, and can usually be found in decent condition.

Also, grab the vacuum check valve at the booster. The EFI vehicles use a different check valve that has a slight restriction to it. This way when you stomp on the stop pedal the engine doesn't get a slug of air from the booster.

This helps with the surging that can occur when using the older style check valves. And looks/is a whole lot cleaner then using the in-line canister filter/restriction.

RemoveBeforeFlight

i went to the volkswagen dealer and got thier braded vacuum hose and then went to the jaguar dealer to get the braded hose for the brake booster.

vw dealer hose
3,5,7 mm

jag dealer
10mm