3.8 stick?

mcleod makes bellhousing for bop thats to my gear box my problem untill now has been the flywheel

what about it......... do you want a stocker or a aftermarket one? The Mcleod safety bell is great, but the excessive mounting flange made to fit multiple engines can be a problem for limited space applications.

Buicks have no issues with having a stick behind them, in fact, i feel that it revs faster - especially the carb turbo models. Ruggles has stated himself, that he prefers a flywheel over a flexplate.

:cool: A.j.

There's a kit on evilbay on a regular basis for just over $300 so you can get it cheaper.

a manual was swapped into a TR a while back. It was a second slower. To each his own I guess:rolleyes:

If i was build a straight line car that would be a big issue,but iam looking forward to driving on a road cousrse where i think its important to keep the rpms constant like a crotch rocket.hoping this will all work well together in a 2100 pound car. i like the twiiiisty roads.

a manual was swapped into a TR a while back. It was a second slower. To each his own I guess:rolleyes:

I have noticed that the people who want to swap don't really care about the 1/4 mile and people who think it is a bad idea do.

Think about the powerband for highway speeds, mpg in 6th, roadcourse/auto-x, efficiency, and lower weight.

For those that think the red line is too low for a manual, my STi with a 7k redline needs to be in 3rd to hit 60mph, 5th to hit 101mph. A TR with a T56 wouldn't be that bad.

Nick

that is something i have considerd,thats why i chose the close ratio siw speed.4 is 1to1,5 is .75to1 and 6 is .50to1 finals are 4.11to1.ican adjust the finals to fine tune.iwould just like to keep the turbo spinning at max torque.not really sure what that range is.think about600 to 700 rpm between shifts mayby lower.wont know till tires are smoken.

Peak torque in these motors is at a pretty low RPM. For your motor, I think its close to 300 ft/lb at or below 3000 rpm.

I have noticed that the people who want to swap don't really care about the 1/4 mile and people who think it is a bad idea do.

Think about the powerband for highway speeds, mpg in 6th, roadcourse/auto-x, efficiency, and lower weight.

The same can be accomplished with a torque converter. I used to run my GN in Open Course events and was able to use the TCs torque mutiplacation to an advantage. You just need to understand how to match the TC to your combination. Imagine rolling into the throttle in a wide sweeping corner with 20 pounds of boost.;) The only disadvantage to an automatic IMO is the fact you are using 3 gallons of oil to make it all work.

I always like to kid the 3 pedal racers that they don't know how to race an automatic.:tongue:

I also have two stories of how the Torque Converter beat the Clutch in road racing. I've been searching for years to find the articles. Both go back to around 1990-1993. One envolves an obscure race series called the Canada-Ohio Challenge. Chevrolet sold about 50 Camaros equipped with 305/5-speed/1LE(R7U) combos. All had roll cages and sealed engines. Kind of like a poor mans IROC.Since those cars were built either at St.Therese or Norwood it centered around that area of the Great Lakes. Anyway the winner of the series(or maybe it was just a couple of races) bent the rules and ran an automatic. You couldn't touch the engine but everything else was wide open to a point.
The second goes back to the old Corvette Challenge. I don't recall who it was but they tried the same thing and managed to win a race on one of the shorter courses.:)

The same can be accomplished with a torque converter. I used to run my GN in Open Course events and was able to use the TCs torque mutiplacation to an advantage. You just need to understand how to match the TC to your combination. Imagine rolling into the throttle in a wide sweeping corner with 20 pounds of boost.;) The only disadvantage to an automatic IMO is the fact you are using 3 gallons of oil to make it all work.

I always like to kid the 3 pedal racers that they don't know how to race an automatic.:tongue:

Good to know. I still am a bigger fan of the three foot dance.

Nick

Why not just use a 200R4 with a reverse manual valvebody ? (TCI makes the valvebody.)

I'd think that would provide the best of both worlds... and it will live forever in that lightweight tuna can. :D

already used the 85ttyp 200r with 335s in a62 nova that had a carbed turbo moter it was cool but just want to build something far out and a ghia with 6speed and 275-40-17 bolted to a corvette rear end is as close to far out as i can get

Just gotta be careful with the clutch pressure plate force and make sure the bellhousing is spot on perfect (centered). I have a 4spd behind my N/A engine and it is tough on the thrust bearing in the engine. I am actually converting it back to auto because I am getting tired of fixing it. It is fun to drive but a pain at the same time. I am going with a TH-350 reverse manual VB with a brake.