3.8 block/parts interchange

Turborookie83

Hey guys, I'm new to the turbo buick game and had a few questions. I picked up an 83 T-type with a blown 3.8 but everything is there. I was wondering if i could use any 3.8 block, heads etc. I havent even torn anything apart just towed it home. Basically what parts are specific to these cars that i cant get from any 3.8 motor? Thanks in advance for any info!
Marc

The only parts that are turbo specific are the crank and pistons more or less. There's probably at least 6 or 7 block castings you can use but the general rule of thumb is that the newer you go, the beefier the casting gets.

Does anyone have the usable casting #'s? I was wondering if i could use a new style 3.8 like in all the grand prixs and buicks etc? Also, My 83' has a q-jet on it with the turbo towards the passenger side of the firewall, is this a "hot air" car I am pretty sure this is a non-intercooled car...but was wondering how expensive/difficult would it be to convert to the more popular intercooled setup. I am under the impression the hot air cars are slower/harder to find parts for?
Thanks
Marc

It's a before black car, not a hot air. How much money do you have??? Doing a convert isn't cheap. I'd either sell it or go back with the stock set up. I've got an 83 t type that's getting a resto-mod witha 4.1 buidlt for a suprise. Where are you located?

Whats a before black car? I dont really want an intercooled setup, i was just wondering what my options are. I would like to go back to stock but not too sure what i could get out of this motor? I'm just looking for a quick street car that will whip most V8's and maybe click off a low 13 or high 12.

Whats a before black car? I dont really want an intercooled setup, i was just wondering what my options are. I would like to go back to stock but not too sure what i could get out of this motor? I'm just looking for a quick street car that will whip most V8's and maybe click off a low 13 or high 12.

Before Black = 83 and earlier carbed turbo systems.

Theres a good bit of work involved to get the carbed systems to perform as you are asking for. Better ignition, boost referenced carbs, later exhaust manifolds are the easy ways to pick up power. But To truly have high performance you might as well toss it and build a more custom drawthru system or just convert to an I/C EFI system. The factory turbo, carb, and intake manifold leave much to be desired in the long run, Even with the 83 system being the best.

It is totally possible to get the numbers your asking for out of the earlier systems, but its just not worth it unless your a die hard, out to prove a point or have a personal crusade. Almost any EFI system, even the 84-85 "Hotair" is an improvement - and can be found in the classifieds for as little as 400 bucks, That alone almost decides for you.

Hope that helps, There is also a "BEFORE BLACK" section on this board for all earlier turbo cars, there might be alittle more information there.

:biggrin: A.j.