Gathering parts for a forged roller set up

Dreamn4GN

As the title states, I'm gathering parts to get a forged short block built . Goals are for making mid 10 sec power on a conservative tune. I already have a block, forged crank, and forged K1 Rods. Plans are for some forged pistons, roller cam, billet mains, ported stock heads, RRs, stock intake etc etc from heads up.. With all that going on , seem to get sidetracked and not really sure what else I need to get . I need to get the block spec'd and see what size bore it will have, its a std bore block with machine work done and ready to be built, but the cylinders walls have a few small imperfections, so I'm not quite sure what bore its going to be. So until I get the pistons figured out what else can I buy? What kind of bearings should I get? Using stock heads I need 1.55 RR's correct? I was thinking of getting a roller cam set up( not sure what size) from Full throttle with lifters and push rods. Question is, what else do I need for my short block to be built besides the items I mentioned? ANY help is appreciated, I searched around and obviously could not find the exact info need. I got a local turbo buick buddy and he seems to be burnt out of all the questions I have lol. Thanks again.

There have been several sets of JE and Diamond pistons in the for sale sect. I used Federal Mogul in mine, King makes good bearings. I ran 11.25 at 20# with E85 mixed in 93 pump(E40) on the same tune I drive on. 18deg@wot I have 206 roller and HS 1.6 rockers.

I would call Nick Micale of Arizona GN. Not only can he help you with your questions, but will spec a cam for you and get you all the parts you need. He has been a ton of help and easy to deal with.

There have been several sets of JE and Diamond pistons in the for sale sect. I used Federal Mogul in mine, King makes good bearings. I ran 11.25 at 20# with E85 mixed in 93 pump(E40) on the same tune I drive on. 18deg@wot I have 206 roller and HS 1.6 rockers.
Yeah I've seen them. But I don't want to buy a set of Pistons without confirmation of bore size. Thanks for the Imput though.

As the title states, I'm gathering parts to get a forged short block built . Goals are for making mid 10 sec power on a conservative tune. I already have a block, forged crank, and forged K1 Rods. Plans are for some forged pistons, roller cam, billet mains, ported stock heads, RRs, stock intake etc etc from heads up.. With all that going on , seem to get sidetracked and not really sure what else I need to get . I need to get the block spec'd and see what size bore it will have, its a std bore block with machine work done and ready to be built, but the cylinders walls have a few small imperfections, so I'm not quite sure what bore its going to be. So until I get the pistons figured out what else can I buy? What kind of bearings should I get? Using stock heads I need 1.55 RR's correct? I was thinking of getting a roller cam set up( not sure what size) from Full throttle with lifters and push rods. Question is, what else do I need for my short block to be built besides the items I mentioned? ANY help is appreciated, I searched around and obviously could not find the exact info need. I got a local turbo buick buddy and he seems to be burnt out of all the questions I have lol. Thanks again.

Make sure you have a qualified/competent machine shop doing the work. Use someone that knows these motors. If you have to send it out then send it out. I would use Diamond or CP pistons. Stock heads? You'll never get the performance out of it that you should using stock heads. Good set of Champion irons properly ported will make nice power without breakin the bank. Me, I would go aluminum.... The power is in the heads. More air flow means more power.... Decide on what turbo you want to use first (how much power you want to make) before you buy/have your heads done and purchase a cam and rockers.... Heads, cam, and torque convertor have to be paired up correctly with a turbo. Also, you want at least 9:1 compression. Big mistake people make is overlooking compression when building these motors. Higher compression better spool....

Whenever you check your bores out, if you need 30 over pistons I have a set of BNIB diamonds that won't get used anytime soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hold off on purchasing Push Rods until after all machine work & mock up have been performed. Then you will be able to measure for the correct length for proper rocker arm/valve stem geometry.

Make sure you have a qualified/competent machine shop doing the work. Use someone that knows these motors. If you have to send it out then send it out. I would use Diamond or CP pistons. Stock heads? You'll never get the performance out of it that you should using stock heads. Good set of Champion irons properly ported will make nice power without breakin the bank. Me, I would go aluminum.... The power is in the heads. More air flow means more power.... Decide on what turbo you want to use first (how much power you want to make) before you buy/have your heads done and purchase a cam and rockers.... Heads, cam, and torque convertor have to be paired up correctly with a turbo. Also, you want at least 9:1 compression. Big mistake people make is overlooking compression when building these motors. Higher compression better spool....
I been around long enough to know who to let build and not let build my motor , I already have the machine shop in mind, but thanks. I kind of wanted a "stock" appearing motor ported stock heads and intake . Anyone can notice a pair of aftermarket heads. As for the turbo I'll be sticking with my TA5469 that I have on the car. Have a 3k PTC converter. The whole motto of the car is to be Decieving with my clear coat gone on the deck lids and black bumper fillers in a debadged light blue turbo T.

Hold off on purchasing Push Rods until after all machine work & mock up have been performed. Then you will be able to measure for the correct length for proper rocker arm/valve stem geometry.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Whenever you check your bores out, if you need 30 over pistons I have a set of BNIB diamonds that won't get used anytime soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks man. But I bought a "standard" bore block in hopes to be able to get two rebuilds outta it with starting with std or .10 over

The whole motto of the car is to be Decieving.

That was my idea behind my license plate 14 years ago when I was in High School. Everybody wanted a fox body Mustang and couldn't figure out why I wanted a Regal with a V6. ;)

c08c4f74b64da4144560193301cd52ec.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That was my idea behind my license plate 14 years ago when I was in High School. Everybody wanted a fox body Mustang and couldn't figure out why I wanted a Regal with a V6. ;)

c08c4f74b64da4144560193301cd52ec.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Damn I was thinking about doing custom plates. D C VING. Trust me when I blew the doors off a new mustang and camaro SS. They made that face when they didn't hear the rumble of a v8 blow by em once my turbo finally spooled.

I'm just looking to figure out what to buy next. I got billet mains with apr studs , internal balancer and sfi flex plate on The way to be under my Christmas tree.

I been around long enough to know who to let build and not let build my motor , I already have the machine shop in mind, but thanks. I kind of wanted a "stock" appearing motor ported stock heads and intake . Anyone can notice a pair of aftermarket heads. As for the turbo I'll be sticking with my TA5469 that I have on the car. Have a 3k PTC converter. The whole motto of the car is to be Decieving with my clear coat gone on the deck lids and black bumper fillers in a debadged light blue turbo T.

Are you going with a "no bump" hood as well for that 150 hp V-8 look?

Kind of a waste of time disguising them because 98% people out there don't know what they are anyway.... These cars haven't been made for thirty years, so you think some 20 year old kid in a Honda or a VW is gonna know what a GN is.....doubtful..... You could write it down the sides of the car and they still won't know.... Meanwhile some guy wearing an argyle sweater vest who's name is 'Long Duck Dong' will be blowing by you in his 290hp Nissan Maxima. I gotta say and I'm sure y'all will think I'm an asshole, but, I can't stand the idea of someone wanting to keeping a "stock" appearance for the sake of fooling people.

Kind of a waste of time disguising them because 98% people out there don't know what they are anyway.... These cars haven't been made for thirty years, so you think some 20 year old kid in a Honda or a VW is gonna know what a GN is.....doubtful..... You could write it down the sides of the car and they still won't know.... Meanwhile some guy wearing an argyle sweater vest who's name is 'Long Duck Dong' will be blowing by you in his 290hp Nissan Maxima. I gotta say and I'm sure y'all will think I'm an asshole, but, I can't stand the idea of someone wanting to keeping a "stock" appearance for the sake of fooling people.
Find me that maxima I'll Blow his doors off with the 135,000 mile stock motor I got right now. . Lol.
Asshole or not it's you're opinion and my car. Trust me I'm not doing this build for the sake of others. It's what I want. Everyone's going right to the aluminum heads and stroker kits. reason I got the car was to be different. A good set of ported stock heads will get me where I wanna go.

Find me that maxima I'll Blow his doors off with the 135,000 mile stock motor I got right now. . Lol.
Asshole or not it's you're opinion and my car. Trust me I'm not doing this build for the sake of others. It's what I want. Everyone's going right to the aluminum heads and stroker kits. reason I got the car was to be different. A good set of ported stock heads will get me where I wanna go.
Damn if you want to fool poeple just don't open the hood. If you go for any real power you will need tire's that will hook. Bottom line you ain't fooling nobody but you. Each to there own. Good luck you are going to need it

Exactly, build it how you want it. You are correct, aluminum heads are not needed for your goal.