3.5 downpipe is in but Iam concerned

proregal

I knew that it would generate alot of heat but it is more than I thought. the heat sheld on the heater box gets hot enough to burn u with the car olny ideling, I wraped the dp with header wrap 3/4 the way down to try to help but still HOT.... am I being to picky or should this be a concern? any imput would be very helpful thanks!

I just installed a 3" DP and have noticed the same thing. I have insulated the vacuum lines that are near the downpipe as well as the first two plug wires closest to the DP. The heat is excessive especially since the stock turbo shield doesn't fit anymore. A 3.5" DP is probably even worse.

is the downpipe touching the heat shield on the heater cover or just close? if so does the header wrap covering the downpipe go down the downpipe enough to cover where the downpipe and heater cover come in contact?

did u try loosening the bolts on the downpipe to see if it has some play left in it to allow you to move it further away from the heater cover?

you could try trimming the heater cover a little to allow room so the two are not touching b/c even if the header wrap is covering the contact point of where the downpipe and heater cover are touching it will not be long before the fiberglass header wrap wears through and then you are back to square one.

good luck, and let us know the results. I was looking into going with a 3.5" downpipe myself. btw what 3.5 downpipe do you have?

there is no room for the down pipe to move it fits tight... the down pipe is a knock off thdp looks great on the car I went from a stock housing with a 3 inch to the one piece deal boy that really free it up....

i have th 3.5 t.h, with cut out and i havent noticed any real bad heat issues. and im running a pt 70, i mean naturally you are gonna get heat !!! it is exhaust, but heat shield shouldnt be glowing red or anything !!! the only problem i have is when i launch it hits firewall !!!! you could try wrapping it if it is a issue !!!

Yeah it creates more heat with the 3.5. More horsepower=more heat. Two options, wrap the downpipe or put a SPAL dual 11" fan on there. That's about all you can do.

e-85.........
bleave it or not I have thought about it but been afraid of screwing something else up.... what changes needs to be made? I just instaled a new pump from racetronix it was a walbro 340 so yes I would like to here more PLEASE....