2nd to 3rd RPM

foregn2

What RPM should 2nd shift to 3rd. Seems like it takes forever to shift into 3rd. Any help

4800-5100 RPM would be ideal, 4600-5000 is probably normal.

If your valve springs are weak, it may not want to rev over 4600.

UNGN said:
4800-5100 RPM would be ideal, 4600-5000 is probably normal.

If your valve springs are weak, it may not want to rev over 4600.

Ok, I think it got to 5500. Just seems like the tach is shooting way over to redline almost

The factory tachs tend to be just a tad bit unaccurate, which is to say they're usually wrong. :)

The factory tach on my 25K mile '86 GN reads 800 - 1000 RPM high.

You need to check it with a scan tool.

If it really is shifting at 5500, this is a problem. You will stop accellerating at 5200 RPM and take forever to get to 5500.

Check the TV adjustment and make sure you don't have a Monte Carlo trans in there.

UNGN said:

If it really is shifting at 5500, this is a problem. You will stop accellerating at 5200 RPM and take forever to get to 5500.

Check the TV adjustment and make sure you don't have a Monte Carlo trans in there.
Ok i'm kinda new to this but please be patient as I'm willing to learn. What is the TV and where is it located

UNGN said:

Thats exactly what it feels like at times to, that I'm really not accerlarating any harder and forever to shift.

foregn2 said:
Ok i'm kinda new to this but please be patient as I'm willing to learn. What is the TV and where is it located

TV is the trottle valve wire located on the throttle body, very top black sheathed wire with a silver wire that easily snaps to the throttle linkage, and connects to the transmission.

Alot of times, this is set too tight (pulled too far back to the firewall).

If the car seems to shift fine at normal driving, then dont touch it...

If one day the car seems to shift really soft, then if you look at the cable, its adjustable. Lots of times the cable will pop loose internally, and cause the car to shift like a slug. Put your thumb in the middle of the cable block, there is a part that looks like a D, your thumb will fit perfectly. VERY HARD to push in. Push the D in, pull the black cable back toward the firewall,remove your thumb from TV block, ratchet the throttle forward all the way Wide Open Throttle (ENGINE NOT RUNNING) You should hear the cable click forward towards the radiator, then push the D in one more time, and take the cable back towards the firewall ONE more click 1/8th inch

Anyway, if your still using the stock tach, then its probably reading too high.

My guess, if the car just feels like its not pulling, it could be just running out of steam on the top end.
What kind of modifications are done to it?
BW

Thanks for the explanation. The only mods i have are whats in my signature. Nothing really major. I just want to get this CAT off next but wanna make sure everything else fine. I will test the TV thing.