'291' four cracks

PhilAnder

I found a '291' block a few weeks ago at a junkyard and this past weekend a buddy of mine cleaned it up and magnafluxed it for me.

To my dismay 4 cracks were found all of which are between the water jacket and bolt holes. Is this block just a 200LB piece of scrap metal now? Is there any other option than just looking for a new block?

The last one I had done had deck cracks from the water jackets to bolt holes in a few places. Built it anyway and its been fine.

Ill try to get some HD photos up this afternoon as soon as i get the block home and as far as location i have no idea, my buddy just said from the head bolt to water jacket holes.
Would it help any if i have the deck resurfaced to see if maybe the cracks are superficial?

they are not superficial, most of those 4.1 blocks are cracked there. I broke one of them on the stand touquing the heads on. YMMV
Mike

If memory serves, those 4.1's had some pretty thin decks.

Well this is dissapointing to hear, $200 down the drain. This is the only 4.1 block I found in Houston and I thought I was lucky that it was a '291'

I've got one sitting doing nothing right now Phill. Had it crack checked and it's fine. I'm just north of Waco if you're interested.

Well this is dissapointing to hear, $200 down the drain. This is the only 4.1 block I found in Houston and I thought I was lucky that it was a '291'

The last one I came across was out at a wrecking yard near Port Arthur.
Ave A I think They ran a mobile car crusher but had a yard too.

You also might try out near Liberty on Hwy 90 right out on the west side. There were a couple of decent yards there. I had to negotiate to get to a price I wanted but I did get a good 8.5 rear out of a 72 skylark and several 200-4r trans out of Cadillacs there as well as other things I needed.

Thanks for the help guys, Ill do some more looking around Houston but if i cant find anything this weeekend i might have to make a trip to Waco :biggrin:

I definitely will Charlie if I am unable to find any locally.
Waco isnt too far of a drive but ive only been there once a few years back and it was for a turbo Dodge meet :D

I had one with about 4 cracks in the same spot, I think it was a 484 block not a 291, but it was definitely cracked. It blew up, but not because of the cracks. It was fine in that area, and it ran really strong but the loose nut behind the wheel hurt that motor and chucked a rod. :mad: