275-60-15's.

HighMileage

Albany,NY
I'm about to pick up a pair of them for the rear. But before I do,I figure it's a good idea to check in here and make sure they are not gonna rub. My GN has only seen the stock size. So,no fender lip rolling,etc has been done.

Btw,I did try a search on this subject,but came up with nothing.

Thanks!

Are you putting the 275's on stock wheels ?

If so, you'll have some pretty good bulge on the sidewalls. The 275's work best with a 8" wheel, the ideal backspace is 4". You should be fine as far as sidewall/frame clearance.

If your car is sitting at stock ride height, you should have plenty of clearance from the top of the tires to the wheelwell trim.

With a little planning, you can tuck the 275's in real nice and not have to worry about the outside of the sidewall rubbing.

Here's a picture of my old set-up. I was running 275's on a 8" wheel with a 4" backspace.

Hope this helps...John

08-02-09001.jpg

Hope this helps...

Are you putting the 275's on stock wheels ?

If so, you'll have some pretty good bulge on the sidewalls. The 275's work best with a 8" wheel, the ideal backspace is 4". You should be fine as far as sidewall/frame clearance.

If your car is sitting at stock ride height, you should have plenty of clearance from the top of the tires to the wheelwell trim.

With a little planning, you can tuck the 275's in real nice and not have to worry about the outside of the sidewall rubbing.

Here's a picture of my old set-up. I was running 275's on a 8" wheel with a 4" backspace.

Hope this helps...John

Hope this helps...

That's a great picture. Nicely done.

Yes,stock wheels. It looks like I'll have to find something smaller,as I'll bet the tire manufacturers don't recommend a bulging sidewall. Maybe the 235's I've seen mentioned?

Thanks again.

I just put 275 60 15 Nittos on the stock T rims and they dont rub anywhere. They do bulge on a 7inch wheel but I can live with it. I guess it really depends if your looking for a street tire or drag radial on what size you should get. Some do run 235 60 15s which fit the stock wheel well.

I'd give the 275's a shot on the stock wheels, can't see it hurting anything. IMO, the 235's look puny on GN's. Here's 235's on my GN when I first purchased the car. It was at stock ride height also.

10-29-07009.jpg

I'd give the 275's a shot on the stock wheels, can't see it hurting anything. IMO, the 235's look puny on GN's. Here's 235's on my GN when I first purchased the car. It was at stock ride height also.

That sure is a big difference. The 235's do look too skinny.
You are starting to get me hooked on the low height/fat tire look in the first pic. ...but that might be some time in the next few years.

Is there anything between the 275's and 235's that will still give the stock tire height? Let me guess,the answer is no.

I'm going to have to get *something*. My rear tires (Goodyear Eagle GT II's ?) are 8yrs old. No traction whatsoever,even at 45mph with a stab of the gas.

why don't we see 275/50-15 I like 26in OD 5500 RPM at 114mph is best for my target 11.9 ET but those 60s look good

Tires

the 275-60-15 fit using a driver side 1/8 spacer on my stock rims. i was barely rubbing on inside frame rail when turning. here are a couple of pics. Go for it!

Attachments

• blkowt gn 019.jpg
    blkowt gn 019.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,267
  • gn parts 078.jpg
    gn parts 078.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,070
I had 275/60/15 on my car once, I hated them! Gave the speedometer the wrong speed, rubbed when I went over a bump and the car always feel horrible going around a corner. Go with the 275/50/15 if you can find them. You can find them in only drag radials now days. Please BFG bring them back!

I had 275/60/15 on my car once, I hated them! Gave the speedometer the wrong speed, rubbed when I went over a bump and the car always feel horrible going around a corner. Go with the 275/50/15 if you can find them. You can find them in only drag radials now days. Please BFG bring them back!

i jus put on some bfg's 275/60/15. for about for months i had no problem at all. now when im on in incline or the road is bumpy and i floor it i hear rubbing on the drivers rear. dont know what wrong my spring and shocks are good. i got a box with 2 12's in the trunk but if it didnt rub when i put them on i cant seem to figure out why its staring to rub now.

i have cooper stingers on the back. they are 265/50 r15. they are not the greatest tires but affordable. using them for steet only. stock size on front and got out for under 500.00 for 4 tires. however i regret not getting wider tires on the front. any advice on good front width and height for this setup in the back?

heres "EVIL RGL" :biggrin: 275/60R15 on stock wheels with no spacers bolted right up no problems at all

Attachments

• DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC00173.jpg
    DSC00173.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,138
  • DSC00169.jpg
    DSC00169.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,089
i have cooper stingers on the back. they are 265/50 r15. they are not the greatest tires but affordable. using them for steet only. stock size on front and got out for under 500.00 for 4 tires. however i regret not getting wider tires on the front. any advice on good front width and height for this setup in the back?

i went wit 245/60/15 in the front and i have no issues with rubbing and handling, only issue i have is the look. i should have went with a smaller tire. next time im gonna use 235/60/15. the 245 takes away the beefy look in the back with the 265. i think 235/60/15 in the front and 275/60/15 in the back is a great look. i would post pictures of mine but my computer is down

I think that you should get a tire size a little smaller if you want to use the stock wheels

OR

get some wider rims (8" minimum) to use the 275-60-15's...

Personnally, I chose to go with 10" wide rims for these tires, and I think they look fine, but that's me.:redface:

Claude. :cool:

Old pics of my car.

Here's 275/60/15 MT DRs on stock GN wheels that were widened to 8" with a 4 1/8" back space. Car has 1" lower springs at all four corners.

P1010007.jpg

P1010012.jpg

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Centerline Rev wheels 8" wide with 4" backspacing. 275/60 BFG Drag Radials. A lot depends on your ride height, when you start lowering the car like JEVANS or mine, clearances get a lot tighter. Also, brands of tires are not always the same size despite having the same size rating. In other words a BFG 275/60 isn't exactly the same size as say a M/T 275/60. I find the BFG's are just a tad narrower. You also have to deal with the fact that the rears on these cars are never perfectly centered with the body.

With my GN I had to trim the wheelwheel trim slightly. Still getting an occasional scrape sound depending on what angle I take a driveway at. Might need to nibble away a bit more. On my driver's side I am getting some rubbing on that damn part of the frame towards the rear of the wheelwell. Might have my welder do a little surgery on that someday.

Most of the wheel manufacturers only offer wheels with 1/2" backspacing. Example, Welds 8" wheels would have 3 1/2" backspacing which would stick the tires out 1/2" more than the wheels I got. That's the main reason I went with the Centerlines and it is nice going to a show pretty much knowing you won't see another set of wheels like these.

Don't forget, if changing tire height you will need to change the speedo gear to keep things accurate.

Attachments

• gnpics 020.jpg
    gnpics 020.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 842