25th anniversary of the Challenger disaster

gunslinger

25 years ago today I was in Spanish class in high school in Friendswood, TX. It's a day I'll never forget. I went to school with several Astronauts kids, one of the kids in my class had a science experiment on-board, and at the time, my father was doing mission planning for the shuttle missions at Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Where were you?

Sitting in front of the TV watching the entire tragedy unfold! :frown:

I was in 5th grade at College Park Elementary in Deer Park TX (Houston 'burb) & we were watching the launch in class... was just horrible to see, most of the class burst into tears & the teacher was scambling to turn off the TV while trying not to lose it herself.

Now I work in a quality assurance / control lab at the Johnson Space Center. I do mechanical and chemical testing of fasteners & parts used for mockup and flight training (NBL, SSTF, etc..) and flight qualification for use on the Shuttle and ISS. We also test stuff for the NASA aircraft (T-38, etc..) out at Ellington and development items for the soon to be re-organized Constellation program, the CEV / Orion group, EVA, Engineering, etc, etc, etc... I also support failure analysis & counterfit part investigations from time to time and conduct soldering workmanship skills & inspection cert / re-cert classes about once per quarter.

I was a 19 yr old tech for Chrysler/Dodge watching the lift off in the customer waiting room with several other guys.... Couldn't believe it...

I was in 5th grade. We were having indoor recess. One of the kids from another room was watching it and told us. but we were made to finish the day out as a normal day. Did not get to see any of it till i got home that day.

sitting in my family room in a reclining chair watching TV saying "Holy chit". I remember that day very well

I was delivering Grocery orders for a small local neighborhood grocery store part time to Little old ladies in low income apartments or regular apartments.

Each one had the TV on watching it as I went from apartment to apartment..

You just brought back memories of the 25 cent tips some of those frugal babes would give me :frown:

Other gave $1- tips.

At my day job at the first nursing home I worked at. Had the TV on in the main dining room and saw it live. :frown:

I was in 4th grade watching on tv in class, definately an image that was burned in my memory.

I was in 1st grade at St Theresa grade school in Cincinnati. We were watching it on TV. I remember going home and telling my mom, who thought I was making it up.

I was sitting on the floor of the living room watching it live as I had done with every previous shuttle launch since I'd been old enough to know what a space shuttle was. I was just six years old, and I still remember it very clearly.

I was working at my boss's Moms house. The lab was in the basement. We had come up to watch the launch. When it exploded we all looked at each other an said that's not good. I remember before the launch they showed the families and spectators but after they didn't show any of that. Very sad. BTW, did you know Christa McAuliffe of Arabic decent? She was Lebonese and Christian.

I had stayed home from work, 'cause I had the flu and was in bed. My son (bless his heart) knew I was feeling terrible. So, he took his little bedroom TV set from his room and set it up at the foot of my bed so I could at least watch TV. I was lying there watching the launch live when it happened.

Watching it unfold in our High School library with other classmates. Junior in High School.

I was in the first grade. We were sent home early from school to watch the launch. I lived on Vandenburg Air Force Base which Im sure most know is a big missile base and a backup launch site for the shuttle. This particular launch was a big event for the base and my school. Remember getting home just in time to see the launch live.

I was 21 year old, remember sitting on my sofa with my son JR he was 9 mouth was giving him bottle of milk. still feel like it was yesterday.:(