24 psi & No More , What to do ?

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I went to the track last night . The car ran great , but I could only get 24 psi with my RJC boost controller cranked all the way down and no more adjustment left . The last time at the track ( Norwalk ) I was stuck at 19 psi , but Bison helped me with that . It was a puck sealing issue , Thanks Brain !! Is there a different spring for the controller or do I need a different one with more adjustment ??
The car is a full 1 second quicker & 6 mph faster with 5 psi more boost !! :D Last time out it ran 12.02 @ 118 mph .
DSCN0336.JPG

How tight is the wastegate on the puck?
I just checked and after pulling the wastegate arm off the hole is on the right edge of the post ( post width short of going on ) . I just now added one full turn in on the wastegate arm and pulled it out to go over the post .

There you go. Just be carefull. I would almost back off the rjc unit alittle and slowly tighten the wastegate rod.

I've got a long straight up hill road I can do a steady 3rd gear WOT pull on to monitor boost .

I would lean on the rod some before pulling the spring and stretching it

Shorten the rod as needed. If you have to shorten it more than 10 turns past slip on then you need a stronger spring(s) or a reduced size bypass hole. As you use up the potential of the turbo and the drive pressure starts going past 1:1 the hole needs to get smaller and smaller as you crank it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shorten the rod as needed. If you have to shorten it more than 10 turns past slip on then you need a stronger spring(s) or a reduced size bypass hole. As you use up the potential of the turbo and the drive pressure starts going past 1:1 the hole needs to get smaller and smaller as you crank it up.

I'll mark it's present position then back it off to slip on position to see where i was at , if under 10 turns I'll take it to 10 and check . That was 10 360* turns , correct ? The bypass hole is 1.19" , is that to large for the TE45A with my combo on E85 ? The chip is burned for 25-28psi . If so I will be buying another blank plate from you again and how large should I make the hole ? Thanks , Sam

To get it all in it will need to be 1" or a little less.

Hallman Boost Controllers are much better option.

That grainger valve belongs on the shelf with the Atari.lol

I just got my new plate back from machining . I had the wastegate hole reduced from 1,19" to .95" as per Bison's suggestion , and centered up better on the puck. Going to install now and back off the boost controller . Let's see if I can get the boost up over 24psi now !! The car is running great right now with ZERO knock @ 24psi , not one single drop of oil leaking anywhere with 28psi oil pressure @ idle . Thanks Mike m233roller you built a good one !! (y)
DSCN0342.JPG
DSCN0343.JPG

I was using the RJC oversize puck, and had a low boost issue also. Corrected mine by getting more leverage on the wastegate arm.

Attachments

• 1440986342693.jpg
    1440986342693.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 193
Geometry may have the upper hand here?? Can the base wastegate handle this? Arm along with puck size seems to be the primary sources for adjustments, correct?
Any thoughts or.......................

Update.....with the smaller hole to cover ( .95" ), I am now at 28.5 psi with room for more on the boost controller. Now with the added power, I'm running over my converter and hitting the Rev limiter. New converter on the way from Dave Husek.

I was using the RJC oversize puck, and had a low boost issue also. Corrected mine by getting more leverage on the wastegate arm.
Or an external spring to pull harder of the wastegate lever. The larger the puck,the more square inches available for exhaust pressure to act on. When the pressure is enough to open the puck prematurely,we need more pressure acting on the puck in the opposite direction ie a longer wastegate lever or a stronger spring. The spring is a hardware store away.