238/238 solid roller... Yay or Nay ????

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
238/238 @ .050 and .592/.592

Opinions ?

And if so, how much/what valvespring with 1.750- 1.800 install heights and 1.55 pockets ?

way more cam than you need IMO.
How fast has the car gone with the current setup?
What you have has mid 9 sec capabilty and adding a real big
cam will slow down spoolup and move the power range higher

way more cam than you need imo.

+1

Check out the new fastest alky pump gas guy...218/218, went 9.6x.

I went 9.90s with 235 ci and that same 214 roller you currently have.

Can't say yay or nay, but that's a bunch of lift so be sure to check valve to piston and retainer to guide clearances and check for coil bind. Also, with a solid roller you may have to just unplug the knock sensor and run without it (that's a guess, not experience).

Can't say yay or nay, but that's a bunch of lift so be sure to check valve to piston and retainer to guide clearances and check for coil bind. Also, with a solid roller you may have to just unplug the knock sensor and run without it (that's a guess, not experience).

Obviously I'd need to change out the valvesprings. ;)

I already had .584 at the valves when I ran the 1.65 rockers with my current hyd roller.
I was seeing valve float problems and went back to 1.55's and upgraded to 26120 BBC beehives to cure it.

way more cam than you need IMO.

I thought maybe by going to a little bigger cam, I could run a little less boost and get the same results ?

The car is a work in progress and hasn't been to the dragstrip yet.

I would stick with what you have and get it to the strip to see what you've got first. Plenty of guys going very fast with 212/212,214/214,218/218. No need to change a combo till you see what it can do. Jim

238/238 @ .050 and .592/.592

Opinions ?

And if so, how much/what valvespring with 1.750- 1.800 install heights and 1.55 pockets ?

That is obviously a solid grind. Post the lobe #'s and LS. Probably 4800's. You will never get springs that will install at the heights you mentioned. You would be at 1.158 height at full lift. Thats a no go with just about any spring(s). Suprised this has not been mentioned yet. You will find double spring setups that will work but will have an installed height in the 1.90+ range. Without knowing the lobe grind #'s its hard to say what you need. You could build a nasty 93 octane only engine with those duration numbers. LS plays a large role. If this is a 3 bolt application i wouldnt bother with a cam anywhere near this size. You would have a hard time finding a head that could take full advantage of it unless you had extensively ported heads. Converter selection will become even more difficult and will need to be loose down low. This is not a cam for a stock block either imo. I plan on running 8.90's with the stage2 and the cam is less duration than that. Lift is about the same.

Here's the numbers...

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg