22 killed va-tech

tthorngen

A GUNMAN opened fire in a dormitory and classroom at Virginia Tech overnight, killing 22 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed.

“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said university president Charles Steger. “The university is shocked and indeed horrified.”

The state university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 1052-hectare campus, beginning at about 7.15am (9.15pm AEST yesterday) at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum.

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed and classes cancelled.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room.

Ms Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8am to notify students to stay put.

“They had us under lockdown,” she said. “They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again.”

“We're all locked in our dorms surfing the internet trying to figure out what's going on,” she said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, “We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible.”

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was cancelled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area.

A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

Virginia Tech, with 26,000 students, is located in the southwest corner of the state of Virginia, about 390km from Washington DC.

That's shocking and tragic news. It's kind of wierd that none of the major networks are covering it.

The most pathetic thing is, now lawmakers will be calling for stricter gun control... when in fact the thousands of already existing gun laws did NOTHING to prevent this tragedy. The gun laws only disarm the law abiding citizens and prevent them from fighting back.

Read this:

Jan 21, 2006
HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.
By Greg Esposito 381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.
In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.

The most pathetic thing is, now lawmakers will be calling for stricter gun control... when in fact the thousands of already existing gun laws did NOTHING to prevent this tragedy. The gun laws only disarm the law abiding citizens and prevent them from fighting back.

Read this:

Jan 21, 2006
HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.
By Greg Esposito 381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.
In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.

Proof when handguns are outlawwed, only outlaws have handguns.

The most pathetic thing is, now lawmakers will be calling for stricter gun control... when in fact the thousands of already existing gun laws did NOTHING to prevent this tragedy. The gun laws only disarm the law abiding citizens and prevent them from fighting back..

unreal :mad: watching this on the news now :rolleyes: :mad:

Not to detract from what happened today, but it p!sses me off the fricken' media calls this "the worst mass murder in the history of the United States"... Guess they've conveniently forgotten what happened 09/11/2001.

Va Tech is only about 45 min from my home. All over the news here. I am just waiting to walk into work so I can hear how many people that I work with lost a child. It is just proof, no man knows the days or the hours we have left on this earth.

Lisa
MsMyclone aka Lghtemup

God, that sucks. Id be horrified if I was a parent. I hope there is a hell just so the f*#ker who did this can go there.:( :mad:

I pray for the survivors and the families of those who lost their lives. I hope that thingd like this bring us closer together as a nation. It certainly reminded me of how blessed we are to live our lives mostly free of fear and worry. I am also reminded of how trivial many of the other thing we focus our attention on are eg. imus, anna nicloe, and others.

It is sad that this happened at a place generally considered safe = schools (I said generally).

I will probably get slapped for saying this, however, but I don't want to see this on the news. I don't want to hear about it...and I think it is rude to the families of the 118 people (average daily count) who die each day in car accidents and not a peep is mentioned about their loss.

Shame on the news for sensationalizing this type of crap.

So what do we have, three or four days until the tree hugging hippys that make up most of this country cry for more gun laws?

:rolleyes:

The shooter was South Korean. I'm gonna go on a limb here and say being korean in VA he probly got teased a lot. It's pretty sad someone can shoot 43+ people before someone takes action.

I think on a college campus ethnic diversity is the norm and he probably wasn't too much more harassed than anyone else.

He probably didn't wander the back woods though!!!!

I'm not up on VA concealed pistol law but here in MI you can't carry in a dorm or classroom on campus. Too bad really as it might have lessened the number of victims if someone had taken him out sooner.

And before anyone says what a bad idea it would be for college people to carry a gun....they can vote, join the army and fight, and drive a car which is just as lethal to bystanders.