21/218 cam question

highpsi305

how streetable/trackable is this cam i will be driving the car around but not that much.

flat tappet of course besides lifters,springs and timing chain what else should i go in for while doing this job. as for the heads i have a set of ported stockers and i am running the good ole t-netics cheetah turbo. can i run green stripe 42.5s?

what t/c is the least stall needed for this cam. any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Your missing a Number..;) If you are asking about a 218-218 I would say not very, but all depends on your setup. I know some that think a 212-212 is to much, then others that run a 224-224 and think it just fine..;) It's all in what you call streetable... IMO, with what you have, The stocker will prob be just fine..

well i did mean 218/218 i plan on modifiying other part as well im just getting a good deal on the cam.

hows the idle on this cam does anyone have a sound clip?

cam

You will kill alot of bottom end torgue. Stock cams been in the 11s with a big turbo..

You will kill alot of bottom end torgue. Stock cams been in the 11s with a big turbo..

I think there were some stock cams that have seen the 10s ;) I just read your SIG (HighPsi 305).. Save your money,, and turn up the BOOST..........

I have a 218/218 roller and I see no reason I couldn't drive it everyday...I can barely even tell it's bigger than stock just driving around.

I have no issues with my 224 roller on the street. I actually wish I had gone bigger.

stock cam in the 11's?with raised shift points?

i had a question can you but the ls1 beehive valve springs on these heads? and what size valves do the stock heads come with

I have this cam and its no big deal street driving, w/ the right chip it idles around 900 .

stock cam in the 11's?with raised shift points?

i had a question can you but the ls1 beehive valve springs on these heads? and what size valves do the stock heads come with

Stock cam has gone 10's more than once, and why would you raise the shift points with a stock cam?

Stock cam has gone 10's more than once, and why would you raise the shift points with a stock cam?

+1

You just raise the boost.....and when you get that tweaked.... you raise it some more.

On a street car.... it gets much more fun when the needle goes above 22 psi.... (pump gas and alky) :biggrin:

Couple of things:
You don't want LS1 springs on a stock non roller cam, its got too much pressure and will flatten it in minutes.
The stock cam is fully capable of going mid 11s or more. If your goals are 10s then a 206/206 is popular as is the 212/212. Remember as the cam gets bigger you lose low rpm response in favor of high. That means you also need to have enough flow throw the heads to use that rpm. Lightly ported heads might not make it. Bigger cams might need a fully ported head or aftermarkets. Your 42lb injectors will run out of flow as well.

For your current combo I'd stick to stock unless your cam is flattening.

I think everyone here will have "Their" opinion on what is streetable vs too much(really no such meaning when power is your desire, lol)
Here's my input:
Hydralic rollers belong in daily driver gas engines and pretty much EVERY diesel ever created. PERIOD.
Depending on available head flow to support shortblock displacement will dictate maximum usefull rpm to use for target rpm range. PERIOD.
If you want to make real power in the 4000-6500 + rpm range, go straight to mechanical roller(tight lash profiles only). PERIOD.
If you are not cutting the heads for bigger(diameter & taller installed height) valve springs, you are handcuffing yourself beyond comprehension and should not even be considering a change. PERIOD.......
If you desire a "nice" little attitude infested Buick with stock internal strengths considered and are willing to have heads/springs dealt with, I'd say get with Mike L, he knows what I'm referring to.(224/224 on 112 centers to be specific, FLAT TAPPET)
If you are proud of your new "Blower Boost Guage" or are the type to play with alcohol and all it's maintainence issues, by all means boost the crap out of it with stock stuff, just don't come back crying about hardware failures afterwards....BIG FOOKING PERIOD.

Other than a few more pages of variables, it's easy to stick with stock equipment, I guess the important question should be: WHAT DO YOU WAN'T????, smooth idle...ton's of low end power off idle...12 inch converter... lock-up?...........bla,bubble bla,??????
You will certainly need to talk with someone else, not I.
Good luck,

Kevin.

Other than the cam what were your mods?