2011 Buick Regal to be Flex-Fuel

1outlaw

Not sure if this fits in the E85 conversion/performance forum but here goes;

All 2011 Buick Regals to be flex-fuel capable from this fall — Autoblog Green

In the second half of 2011 Buick will be bringing in the 2.0L turbo Flex-fuel engine that I believe is what Saab/GM created for Europe but ran out of money to distribute. This is not like current FFV's that in daily driving only put out 3-5% more horses and drink on average 20% more fuel. This one is stated to run at only mid-single digit % added consumption on E85. If it is the exact Saab design then it has variable boost based on fuel type and can put out up to 20% more horses- this last part I am less sure about because the article is a bit brief.

If this truly happens it will be a game changer for peoples attitudes about E85. A power difference they can feel in the seat, a consumption rate that is always more than offset by all but the worst pricing E85 stations. I have this same engine minus the ECU programming and same blower in my Saab. Mine will get 31.8 mpg on E0 premium, 31.8 on E20, and 31.8 mpg on E28. On E20 or higher the boost gauge will peg. I never reprogrammed my ECU for E85 because while the Saab Techs I talked to said my injectors and pump were fine for it- my ECU was made in a 4 month window that no conversion program will work with:mad:

I know that GM is also prepping plants to roll out new V6 and V8 FFVs but I am not certain about boost in them. They are still hoping to do an optimized boosted 1.4 Flex-fuel for the smaller mid-size on down.

pretty significant....E85 capability on a direct injected motor means plenty of headroom in the fuel system. there will be some fast little regals out there...

i'd really like to see what they're capable of. i tune my friends cobalt ss(turbo 2.0L directinjected I4)...12.5afr and 23psi on 93 octane...a lot of them making 400hp to the wheels in near stock form

This is a good sign, hopefully GM uses the Ecotec engine for future turbo/flex fuel cars and works the GN back into production. 3.6L, twin turbo, flex fuel would be a Vette killer with a boost controller mod. :cool:

We do know that GM is putting money into 4 plants that do V6 and V8's for FFV's and this work was stated as to ramp up flex fuel engines. What still remains unknown is if any of these V6's will be turbocharged. I would think that would also be very desireable in the light trucks w/ auto trans.

Not cheap- base models around 26K going up to over 29k

We have been discussing it on E85vehicles;

2011 Turbo Charged E85 Buick Regal

And also- the announcement of the 4 GM plants upgrade to do the V6, V8, and 4 cyl Eco-tech direct injection engine. It appears most blocks will be aluminum.

GM Investing $890 Million to Build Next-Gen V-8 Engines ? Automotive News & Car Rumors at Automobile Magazine

Thats a bit much for a 4-banger isn't it? Maybe i'll try one used,

I'm keeping my eye on the new Regals. I know they are pricey, but the refinement is what I am after. We paid $28k for my wife's 2002 Regal GS Abboud Edition, so this new one won't be much more.

This sounds very interesting at best, can't wait to see if the turbo motor actually happens.