2004R weak links

matt69olds

Ain’t no feeling like Oldsmobling!
Assuming you have a 2004R in good condition, with CK servo, forward drum, shift kit and hardened input shaft whats the next weak link? And a good build with all the tricks? Just curious. Opinions?

Planetaries, sprags, billet pistons. How deep your pockets are kinda dictates how much "cool" stuff you put in there.

Is the forward drum you have billet? Billet-Od ring& planet . Should be updated and billet front shaft should be used.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Its a CK forward drum, the shaft is obviously aftermarket but the drum that holds the clutch pack is stock. I was pretty sure the overdrive planet and ring gear was the next weak link. Whats a reliable quarter mile time in a 3800ish pound car for the stock parts?

The next weak link is the 2004R.....

They've been in the 8's now. Like most new things (compared to a TH400) that don't work right immediately, people say they are junk instead of figuring out the issue. Clearly someone has figured out how to make them last.

How many 10 sec runs can a well built 200 take? Would a 400 be cheaper to build and last longer ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A lot. But a 400 would be cheaper.

My experience has been that the trans setup starts to get a bit "tricky" in the low 10's. Mid 10's and up is pretty easy and not too awful expensive.

My experience has been that the trans setup starts to get a bit "tricky" in the low 10's. Mid 10's and up is pretty easy and not too awful expensive.
I ve talked with a few people with 200s in the 9s and they claim its just really expensive

i agree with this. Life of direct is limited if everything isn't perfect. Leakage and inadequate pressures even if hole sizing and calibration is correct can cause very rapid failure. Trying to find a good trans to work with is a challenge. The internal components are worn typically and cause problems. Trying to find a usable drum or even a drum that can be "cleaned up" is difficult. Building a high hp th400 isn't cheap either. For a lot of people it is worth it to run a 400 at that level. If converter design is correct the 400 can be cruised without overdrive and about 30% more rpm in 3rd. This is not a lot imo and I hear so many mention mileage. Your mileage will still suck with overdrive and everything perfect at low 10 sec level. Even if 20% of mileage was lost it's still not a big deal. If you are familiar with a 200-4r and what it needs it's usually worth pushing it. It will take repeated 140mph passes if everything is right.

I ve talked with a few people with 200s in the 9s and they claim its just really expensive

that too.... last summer I dropped around 1500 on additional hard parts for a trans that was already pretty decent.

getting it to shift all by itself exactly where you want it is a trick.

The pump rings are what took mine out. converter broke too. smoked the clutches by the time i got home.

The pump rings are what took mine out. converter broke too. smoked the clutches by the time i got home.
Without a pump, pretty much nothing will go good after that.

i agree with this. Life of direct is limited if everything isn't perfect. Leakage and inadequate pressures even if hole sizing and calibration is correct can cause very rapid failure. Trying to find a good trans to work with is a challenge. The internal components are worn typically and cause problems. Trying to find a usable drum or even a drum that can be "cleaned up" is difficult. Building a high hp th400 isn't cheap either. For a lot of people it is worth it to run a 400 at that level. If converter design is correct the 400 can be cruised without overdrive and about 30% more rpm in 3rd. This is not a lot imo and I hear so many mention mileage. Your mileage will still suck with overdrive and everything perfect at low 10 sec level. Even if 20% of mileage was lost it's still not a big deal. If you are familiar with a 200-4r and what it needs it's usually worth pushing it. It will take repeated 140mph passes if everything is right.
Are the th400 parts being produced by the aftermarket? (i haven't looked into building one). Seems the original stuff is even older than the 2004r parts. Were the th400 parts better materials or just much larger/more heavy duty?
Sounds like an aftermarket 2004r drum might be something an aftermarket co might look into.

Are the th400 parts being produced by the aftermarket? (i haven't looked into building one). Seems the original stuff is even older than the 2004r parts. Were the th400 parts better materials or just much larger/more heavy duty?
Sounds like an aftermarket 2004r drum might be something an aftermarket co might look into.

There is a huge amount of parts availability for a th400 from a lot of different sources. Sprags and other upgradable parts are easily accessible. 4l80 components are often used in th400's too. The th400 doesn't have to release any band to achieve a ratio change so timing isn't an issue like it is in a 200 with a 2-3 ratio change. The gear train is well distributed in a 400 and the load is dispersed well through the trans. Apply areas and clutch surface are much more than a 200. This is why it's a very desirable trans for high power builds. I believe EA has drums for a 200. I can't imagine them being cheap. A lot of r&d in a piece like that. Especially when looking to add piston apply and clutch capacity while working with the limited space.

Without a pump, pretty much nothing will go good after that.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Big thanks to Dave Husek on helping me out and answering questions. If it wasn't for christmas I'd have a new converter too and I'd be putting the trans in.

There is a huge amount of parts availability for a th400 from a lot of different sources. Sprags and other upgradable parts are easily accessible. 4l80 components are often used in th400's too. The th400 doesn't have to release any band to achieve a ratio change so timing isn't an issue like it is in a 200 with a 2-3 ratio change. The gear train is well distributed in a 400 and the load is dispersed well through the trans. Apply areas and clutch surface are much more than a 200. This is why it's a very desirable trans for high power builds. I believe EA has drums for a 200. I can't imagine them being cheap. A lot of r&d in a piece like that. Especially when looking to add piston apply and clutch capacity while working with the limited space.
Good info. I've never taken one(a th400) apart so I don't have a reference to compare the 2004r stuff to. Though I can see why a forward shaft twists the end off as it isn't very big and the splines surely stress it even more.
Limited market for a trans that has been out of production since 1990. Funny how it is so different than the predecessors with the shifting and tv cable. Then the advent of electronic control for the next generation left it out. It is a special piece.

Can someone define expensive? I see it used often would like a number attached. What's expensive to you?

I have less than $3k in my 200 with all the billet stuff except the 4th gear planet including my multi-disc Vig. It has to have 200+ passes on it at 110-120mph mostly in the 11's and over 50k miles on it with nothing more than a fluid change at 30k miles. I don't regard that as expensive.