2004r separator plate question

Mike T

I need to pull the valve body on my 2004r to free up a stuck throttle valve. I have read up a little and found that there are check balls above the separator plate (transmission case side). I would think that the check balls in the valve body will stay in place so that I will know where they go. My concern is that when the separator plate comes off the check balls above it will fall out and I will not know where they came from. Can the valve body be removed and still leave the separator plate attached to the transmission case?

Thanks Mike

That is the information I need but it appears that the transbrake instructions show 5 check balls & the last photo in the thread shows only 4 check balls. Maybe the additional check ball is for the transbrake application? Thanks for the help.

I may be reading this wrong but , if all you want to do is free up a stuck throttle valve you might not have to pull the valve body . One roll pin holds the T V plunger sleeve , T V plunger and T V plunger spring . Behind that is another roll pin holding the throttle valve and the throttle valve boost spring ( page 75 - ATSG Manual ) .

I may be reading this wrong but , if all you want to do is free up a stuck throttle valve you might not have to pull the valve body . One roll pin holds the T V plunger sleeve , T V plunger and T V plunger spring . Behind that is another roll pin holding the throttle valve and the throttle valve boost spring ( page 75 - ATSG Manual ) .

I thought about trying to get to the throttle valve as you described but was not sure I could get at it since it's so far back in the bore. In hind sight I should have tried it that way but instead I pulled the valve body down very carefully and all 4 check balls stayed in their correct locations. I was able to get to the throttle valve from the top side of the valve body with a very small screw driver. After a shot of PB blaster and very careful prying it popped loose. I never separated the plate from the valve body or moved the check balls.

IMG_8983.JPG

what was the purpose of the pb blaster , could do more harm than good

It was a rebuild that sat for a long time before it was installed and I was told that the assembly lube may have gummed up/hardened. I would say that the diagnosis was right on because I gently pried on the valve for about 5 minutes with no luck but after just a few drops of PB it popped loose right away.

i cant see where spraying pb on the outside could have any effect on your condition
i would be concerned with the solvents in PB damaging the rubber seals in the trans

With the valve body out you can see the throttle valve trough a very small orifice hole on top side of the valve body. With the straw attachment I put a small squirt of PB directly on the valve itself and within just a few seconds and a light pry the valve released.

im sorry i thought you used pb to seperate the vb from the trans ..nevermind :oops: