$2003 Challenge Results--1984 Buick Ttype

GS70350

Round Headlights.Like em?
We ended up having an excellent trip to the $2003 challenge in Gainsville, Florida this weekend and I am very happy with the cars performance and the results. Eric Fisher, my dad, and I worked on my Ttype throughout the weekend and competed in a drag race, an autocross/road course, and a concours judging, and out of a field of a little less than 100 cars we ended up
placing 14th overall which is very satisfying when you realize the cars state and the competition. Friday was the drag race and Eric brought along some slicks mounted on some buick rally's to get us some traction off the line. Turns out, the offset on the rallys is not enough and the tires rubbed the frame rails, so the 225/60/15 yokohamas went back on for the rest of the event. Although the car ran quite rich, had some boost problems, and
had no traction, we ran a respectable 13.3 @ 107.2 in overdrive, 2.3 60ft, converter unlocked, 17 psi boost through 1 and 2 and spiking to 19/20 in the top of 3rd and 4th. This put us in 7th place at the end of the day.

Saturday was the autocross which turned out to be more of a road course with a slalom on one of the straights. Eric was definatly the #1 contributing factor to the success in this field thanks to his driving and knowledge about autocrossing. The car has stock suspension with the exception of bilstein shocks, and with Eric at the wheel we turned a 56.2 second lap through the
course. This put us in 26th place for the autocross, with the fastest time of the event being around 50 to 51 seconds .

The car is in very nice condition for the price and placed 18th in the concours because of it scoring 349.xx points.

Im sure many of you dont think this turnout is the best, but hen you consider the build of the 13 cars that beat us, it makes the results even more impressive. Every car ahead had fully or mostly gutted interior, only 2 or so were street legal and tagged, plastic windows, no air conditioning, power steering, etc, and all had fairly lightweight wheels with autocross/road race tires mounted on them. My car was most likely the highest placing vehicle with stock size street tires, full interior, so little suspension mods, AC, and licensed and driven most every day of the year.

Once again id like to thank Eric Fisher for coming to help and drive, and his girlfriend Summer for her patience throughout the 2 days, My dad for his help, and Kendall Frederick for coming to support us.

Jacob Morse

Damn sweet!

And just think... you have a hole extra dollar to put into the car for next year. ;)

Now go tune the thing up! :D

Yep, actually i have about 200 that i can spend, but id like to stay 100 under budget if you know what i mean. Kinda wanna leave some extra room. its time to start removing parts, trading some, and really tuning it up. Maybe we can get a team effort together for next year with this car, someone who can tune REALLY well, Eric can deal with the suspension and driving through the autocross, and ill put on the parts and clean it up for the concours, anyone wanna help? lol