200-4R Transmission Originality

86GNER

Does anyone know how to tell if a 200-4R transmission for an 1986 GN is original to the car? (Matching numbers) I am aware that it should have a BRF code on the transmission tag. Is the serial number on the tag supposed to match any part of the VIN number or does the serial number on the tag only show the sequence in production of the transmission itself? The Tag I have on My Transmission is shown exactly as 135 861BRF0642 The Tag is blue (I assume this indicates 1986 model). Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know how to tell if a 200-4R transmission for an 1986 GN is original to the car? (Matching numbers) I am aware that it should have a BRF code on the transmission tag. Is the serial number on the tag supposed to match any part of the VIN number or does the serial number on the tag only show the sequence in production of the transmission itself? The Tag I have on My Transmission is shown exactly as 135 861BRF0642 The Tag is blue (I assume this indicates 1986 model). Thanks for the help.

it should be on the driverside right above the pan and gasket lip in the rear of the transmition. wow 23 views and no replies you mean to tell me all you buick guys do not know how to check vin numbers

There was a post back in 2002 that asked this same question. Very few responses in that post as well, but it does give the same answer: above the pan and gasket seal 3/4 the way back. It has the VIN embossed right into it. The transmission tag has the serial number of the transmission itself and has no correlation to the VIN or positively verifying that it is a numbers matching transmission. You have to look at the embossed numbers not the transmission tag. Correct me if I am wrong. The transmission tag will verify the year and type (I.E. BRF, etc...)

Here is a pic of the flat spot on the pan rail where the VIN is stamped. Its a little fuzzy but you can see two of the pan bolts.

Attachments

• VIN-Trans 200-4R.jpg
    VIN-Trans 200-4R.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 179
Here is a pic of the flat spot on the pan rail where the VIN is stamped. Its a little fuzzy but you can see two of the pan bolts.

That's the one. The only real way to tell if it's a number's matching car. That and a similar pad on the driver's side rear of the engine block.

Yep, Mine matches. I looked at the transmission tag and bout had a heart attack. I learned on this very forum from a post several years ago that the transmission tag is not what you look at for matching numbers but rather the engraved numbers on the tranny. The number on the transmission tag only indicates year/type/serial number of transmission. I am relieved.