200 4r install Questions

BallisticV6

I know this question has been answered many times but i couldnt find the answers:

Questions:

1. What should be the amount of space between the flywheel and torque converter when the converter is unbolted from the flywheel and pushed back into the trans? mine is about 3/8"

2. Can regular home Depot washers be used if the space between the torque converter and flywheel is too big?

3. What direction does the fluid travel between the upper and lower fluid openings on the trans. for the trans cooler.

3/8" is a bit much, 2 or 3 home depot washers for each bolt should be about right - about 1/8" is fine.

GNTType org has info about location of fluid feed/return.

Be careful.

While washers can take up some excess pull-back, if you put too many in there, you may not have good pilot engagement in the crankshaft. That is what keeps everything centered.

Also, cheap washers tend to vary in thickness enough to where you may induce run-out in your converter. In other words, if the converter gets cocked on the flexplate, the pump drive hub will not run true in the transmission. Make sure the washers are absolutely flat and consistent thickness.

On the 200-4R, the upper fitting is feed to the cooler and the lower fitting is return lube from the cooler.

Yes Greg ..

I agree. .025 at the bolt will be a ton at the hub. If the pump rotor fails you will know it wasn't right. 3/8ths is not bad. little loose but I would rather take my chances with square than shim and be tight and disengaged from crank. Be careful here and if you should use washers mic them and make sure they are ALL the EXACT same to the thousandth. I might be inclined to call converter builder if any more. Question would be , what is actually not 100% correct?
Bruce
WE4