200-4r 1-2 Shift bangs (clunks) abruptly when going in to 2nd gear.

Hi again,

Well now that the 1-2 shift problem is solved I'm hoping some one here can help me out with the clunky 1-2 shift my car now has with the Transgo HD2 shifter kit and servo.

For the record this is a Monte Carlo SS trans and Dad purchased a Chris Klein Buick style separator plate to replace the one that originally came in my transmission.

Dad states that he only used one of the two washers supplied for the servo and did the dual feed step that was included in the Transgo instructions.

What can Dad do to make the 1-2 shift a tad less clunky. All the other shifts and downshifts are perfect.

Kirsten,

thats sort of what a shift kit does. The TV cable adjustment will affect this somewhat. The other things that affect the 1-2 shift are the spring/spacer in the 1-2 accumulator, the setup of the servo, and the hole size that was drilled in the separator plate. The 1-2 shift is somewhat tunable, but you don't want to soften up the light throttle 1-2 at the expense of the full throttle shift crispness.

Most shift kits have some choices you can make relative to this. You need to check with your dad on these and see what he did.

Some of the other guys can help you tune it as well.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I added the pertinent info about what was done to my trans by Dad in my opening post.

I thought I would start a separate thread for this issue now and appreciate all your help.

Kirsten,

What hole size was used on the 2nd oil feed? Use a servo from an 86-87 turbo regal.

What hole size was used on the 2nd oil feed? Use a servo from an 86-87 turbo regal.

Hi again Bison,

Dad didn't drill any holes at all.

He used the Chris Klein Performance Buick plate exactly the way it was.

Dad has no idea what the 2nd oil feed hole size is because the one page instruction sheet that was included with the plate only described as to where the silver BB's need to go.

Should he try to contact them in order to get that information?

Kirsten,

It may be easier to try the servo swap first. If you get the desired shift quality you can avoid dropping the pan again.

It may be easier to try the servo swap first. If you get the desired shift quality you can avoid dropping the pan again.

Hi Bison,

Dad would love to try a servo from an 86-87 turbo regal and avoid the transmission fluid bath (Dad has had 4 of them so far) :(

Where can he find them at?

Kirsten,

which "dual feed" step? There is a "dual feed" modification that the trans builders use to make 3rd gear stronger, but I believe you have to tear the trans apart to do it.

The separator plate is a "CK Performance" plate? If not I'm not sure who Chris Klein is.

there are a few things that control "shift feel". Fluid pressure is controlled by the TV cable (connected to the accelerator linkage at the carburetor), raising pressure firms up the shifts and raises the shift points when you are heavy on the throttle.

When the 1-2 shift valve shifts, oil goes thru one of the holes in the separator plate, this oil feeds the servo and the 1-2 accumulator, the spring and piston in the accumulator allow the pressure to build in a controlled way so the shift is smooth. As the hole size is increased, and the springs shimmed with washers, the pressure rise is more abrupt. This is what is happening. The stock GN servo is pretty big, but is smaller than the aftermarket ones. The size of the servo controls the 'hit' of the 1-2 as well. So changing to the GN servo makes sense to try. Or even back to your original servo.

Bob

when I was using the transgo HD2 kit even the slightest change in tv cable, as much as one click it would go from a nice firm shift to neck snapping 1-2 shift. This kit shifts very firm and it probably always will but you can bring it back a bit by loosening the tv cable one click or two without hurting anything.

Kirsten's 86' Regal said:
Hi Bison,

Dad would love to try a servo from an 86-87 turbo regal and avoid the transmission fluid bath (Dad has had 4 of them so far) :(

Where can he find them at?

Kirsten,

$50 shipped

Ttype6 said:
Make sure she gets the stock GN return spring also.

Yes. It would be complete with the cover, both springs, the accumulator and a 3 ring apply pin.