2-step for stock ignition systems

Bob,

On the log that Eric just posted it shows 15 KR?????

Yeah, that was from all the wheelspin after I de-activated the 2-step. I only had the knock ignore activated up to 35mph, so it showed knock after that.

Now I have to get these black marks off the driveway.:)

If I had a nice long concrete driveway like that, I'd be mounting a tree and 60ft lights alongside it. :D

Here's another vid of me being a maniac in my driveway.

2 step is at 2700rpm, foot to the floor, built about 6psi boost

I have a Powerlogger recording of the same test. I'll attach it.

YouTube - Buick 2-Step Testing

I can't seem to imbed the vid correctly in the post.

So Eric, your not using any retard? What are you using for a switch?

The weather has been holding me back. We are expecting more snow tonight and tomorrow. :( Looks like you might see some too.

Yes it should work fine with a Gen VII as long as you're using the stock module and coilpack.

Rick,
I was not using retard for that run. I was using the pushbutton switch Bob sent, just activating with my thumb.

Here's the Powerlogger recording of that vid for anyone interested.

View attachment 92761

You'll have to unzip it and view it with your Powerlogger software (PLC.exe).

ERIC, looking at your log i see the a/f is all over the place. has this had any ill effect or is it even noticable? adv. looks good as well as rpm and everything else. just wondering the effects on the a/f.

o also are you spraying alky on that log?

The A/F will bounce around on the 2 step becuase of the unused O2 from the skipped cylinders, it ends up in the pipe and the sensor sees it as soon as you let it go the A/F will stabilize
Mike

Ok, here are the numbers you have all been waiting for.

I have tried to keep the cost as low as possible for you guys. I think we did ok.

The units will be available around March 15 (if everything goes according to plan)

The vendors that will be carrying it for the Buick guys will be TurboTweak and Full Throttle Speed.

The price will be 229.00

Thanks to all you guys for the input!

Bob Bailey

Awesome Bob!
This will be a very nice addition to my new combo. Thanks for all your hard work!

-Banning

i figured thats why its all over the place but, people who have an xfi i or BS3 im wondering how this will effect it? im guess your not on the 2 step long enough to have and effect?

Couldn't you use the brake switch as a trigger for the xfi to tell it to lower the timing or something during the 2 step activity?

There are no issues with the O2 sensor reading. However, you need to make sure the XFI or BS3 (or whatever) is not is closed loop, or it will add a bunch of fuel. This can make the launch sluggish.

Bob

Couldn't you use the brake switch as a trigger for the xfi to tell it to lower the timing or something during the 2 step activity?

Yes, the Nitrous retard could be used to do that.

You don't really need to though, as the 2-step unit can do the timing retard.

Bob

There are no issues with the O2 sensor reading. However, you need to make sure the XFI or BS3 (or whatever) is not is closed loop, or it will add a bunch of fuel. This can make the launch sluggish.

Bob

humm, got to figure out how to do that while its on the 2 step.

You just set the closed loop thresholds to higher than your staging conditions.

Bob

You can make XFI disable closed loop by setting up the 2-step like it's a power adder, and check the "inhibit closed loop" option box. There may be other ways, but I would ask Cal about it.

will something like this work? not sure just guessing.

with the 2 step being set for full cut 2800.

now i know cal would know but say i don't want to use the 2 step for a pass. i'm guessing with these settings in there i can stage build boost and launch without the 2 step and not have to change anything since the activation for this is 2700 and cutoff is 2900 and without the 2 step it will go right past this area quick?

not sure how cruising around town with these setting would work out. im guessing it will never hit this area since tps is 50% and rpms are so low?

the only time i am going to use the 2 step is while on the t-brake is there another way to configure the xfi and the electric t-brake together?

sorry for all the questions just thinking out loud here for everyone else as well.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 627
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 620