2-step for stock ignition systems

Hmmm. not so sure I like that method. If it's mounted to the floor (somehow) you're guessing the pedal has to go down far enough to engage the switch, some may not. Others may go too far and break the switch.
Gotta be a better way. This may take some thought, but a more elegent solution should be there somewhere? What about a thumb button? Either steering wheel mounted or shifter mounted.

Pretty sure they are talking about mounted on the brake pedal itself on the left side.

Not on the floor, on the left side of the Brake Pedal, Boost up with your right foot and position your left foot so that while holding the brakes, the left edge of your foot is on the Two Step button. At the edn of the run you right foot is in the brake, on the opposite side of the pedal away from the button. Dave... two words, More Coffee:tongue:

Not on the floor, on the left side of the Brake Pedal, Boost up with your right foot and position your left foot so that while holding the brakes, the left edge of your foot is on the Two Step button. At the edn of the run you right foot is in the brake, on the opposite side of the pedal away from the button. Dave... two words, More Coffee:tongue:

More coffee helped! :redface:

Hey Dave,

I have done the button in the brake pedal thing on a different car a few years ago (Impala SS with single turbo) it worked really well. Without some retard and cylinder cut you could not get any boost on the brakes without spinning the rears. With the cut and retard activated you could get 5 psi or so.

On non transbrake cars the setup of the unit depends on the turbo size and torque converter.

With a loose converter you can set the unit for full cylinder cut and less retard and use it to control launch RPMs. On launch you will get some additional flash stall from the converter.

With a tight converter or large turbo, you can set the unit for partial cylinder cut and more retard to create more heat in the exhaust. Then at launch you get rapid boost rise.

And, in addition to all this, trans brake or not. The alky guys will get extra protection from the upper RPM limit protecting them from the ECM's fuel cutoff limiter.

That switch is the best I have found for this application, I think it will be offered as an accessory.

Bob

In the absence of the optional switch, how then would the unit be activated? Would this be left up to the expertise/design of the installer/purchaser?

Interesting question.

Generally, this is the way 2-steps are. The purchaser gets to figure out how he wants to trigger the unit.

I'm wondering if the cruise control "SET" button could be used. It would make a cool, invisible installation. (It would still also work for the cruise control).

You can connect it to the brake light circuit, but the release would be a little slower. This might be fixable with a spring on the pedal or careful adjustment of the brakelight switch.

Bob

I thought about the brake light circuit also, but concluded the release would be too slow. Even adjusting the switch. It would likely have to be adjusted too far down. Which would make cruise disengagement a little scary.

Cruise button's not a bad idea. I'm leaning toward a shifter mounted button or something similar.
The brake pedal mounted button isn't a terrible idea either if I understand it correctly.

The brake pedal mounted button is very stealthy and un-intrusive. It works very well. I also considered putting a small button on the side of the console away from the driver. That way you could grab the console with your right hand and click the button when staged.

Steering wheel buttons are very 'old school'..... :)

Bob

I also considered putting a small button on the side of the console away from the driver. That way you could grab the console with your right hand and click the button when staged.

Steering wheel buttons are very 'old school'..... :)

Bob

OMG you are gonna laugh when you see where I mounted my transbrake button a few weeks ago. :D (screwed to the side of the console)

In 20 years racing, I've NEVER mounted a button on my steering wheel.
I always just lay the cord over the console so it's easy to reach and out of the way.
When racing, I just drop the cord and grab the shifter after letting go of the button.

OMG you are gonna laugh when you see where I mounted my transbrake button a few weeks ago. :D (screwed to the side of the console)

In 20 years racing, I've NEVER mounted a button on my steering wheel.
I always just lay the cord over the console so it's easy to reach and out of the way.
When racing, I just drop the cord and grab the shifter after letting go of the button.

What's wrong with mounting your button on the shifter, then no "dropping and grabbing".

It shouldn't be too difficult for me to mount a switch on mine.

Attachments

• CENTER.JPG
    CENTER.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 507
Foot brake guys could install line locks for the front and rear and use the same button that activates those for the 2 step. Technically you wouldn't be a foot brake car anymore but that could be left a secret.

What's wrong with mounting your button on the shifter, then no "dropping and grabbing".

If you have a car that 60ft's hard enough, having your hand on the shifter when you launch is a no-no. (with a rev man VB)You may accidentally find yourself n 2nd gear sooner than you'd like.

Been there, done that... many years ago. ;)

Foot brake guys could install line locks for the front and rear and use the same button that activates those for the 2 step. Technically you wouldn't be a foot brake car anymore but that could be left a secret.

Line locks are for burnouts! I would NEVER hook mine to the rears. :eek:
The reason I can foot brake to very high boost levels (higher than the tires I use could ever handle BTW) is because the rear brakes are kept cold during the burnout, because of the line lock.

It shouldn't be too difficult for me to mount a switch on mine.

Nice cockpit Dave. A switch in your shifter would be sweet. I'm still thinking about what kind of switch to run. I like the brake pedal switch concept. Only problem my brake pedal literally moves about 1/4" then your through the windshield. :eek: There is no travel but that may be a good thing. :cool: