2 cars, one methanol system, one bb turbo, one delimma

luv2whelie

Junior Birdman
Ok, I have an '87 GN, bored, balanced, blueprinted, ported, polished, polished rods, .212 hydraulic cam, 55lb injectors, stock intercooler. Turbo was leaking oil into exhaust, so I ordered new 6368 BB turbo. I also have an '87 T-type with te-60 turbo, 60lb injectors, ATR .202 (i think) cam, methanol injection, front mount RJC racing intercooler, stock motor rebuilt back stock except for cam. Both have turbotweek chips, built trans, and 2800 stalls. My question is this. I HAD planned to put the methanol off the T-type on the GN along with the BB turbo. Would I wind up with TOO much power for my engine build? If so, what's best, to install BB turbo on GN and leave methanol on T-type or put BB turbo on T-type and put methanol on GN? Is the 6368 too much turbo for the T-type's mostly stock motor? I don't think my GN build will support much over 550hp. 600hp tops. I also have Nitto drag radials on GN, so whatever power I add, I have to be careful not to break anything with the good hookup.

John McClung
Asheville, NC

I think the turbo and meth would be great on the GN although I'm not sure if you have enough injector for that turbo..

With the meth spraying, those 55#'er will be fine if your keeping the hp in the 550 range. I'd put it all on the GN.
Good looking radiator Peter... I've been toying with parting with my stock original 24 year old radiator in the Texas heat...its had a few dosings of OJ in the past to get a ton of scale out of it :) OJ works great to clean it out!

The T-Type sounds like a fun car, I'd just leave it as is and pound away.

The GN sounds like it's all ready to go and you could just add....
E85 in your area? If so, you could just add a Dutt Neck to you stock IC, get 80lb injectors and have a lot of fun. :cool:
Or add a single or possible small dual Meth kit, still do the Dutt Neck, and have at it with more power than the T Type.

With ported heads, the 212 cam with that BB63 you can put down some good numbers with some cooling help.

Nittos should come with a coupon for QA1's, set them soft and the Nittos will surprise you.

I know the feeling. I'd say keep one stock/near stock and mod the other one. So put the goodies over on the GN.

'87 GN
bored, balanced, blueprinted
ported irons
212 hydraulic cam
55lb injectors Turbo Tweak chip
stock intercooler
Turbo was leaking oil into exhaust, so I ordered new 6368 BB turbo
2800 stall
built trans
Drag radials

87 T-type with
te-60 turbo
60lb injectors
ATR .202 (i think) cam
methanol injection
front mount RJC racing intercooler
stock motor rebuilt back stock except for cam.
turbotweak chip
built trans
2800 stall

John McClung
Asheville, NC

Put this stuff on the GN since it has the ported irons:
Methanol(Razors) kit
The RJC front mount
New BB turbo

I think I'm sold at throwing it all at the GN. I'll switch injectors and chips between the cars too so I'll have the 60lb in the GN and the right chip for the methanol. Does the turbotweek chip really take the cam into account? ergo, will I have to have the chips reprogrammed to switch them? What about the turbo? reprogram for that? I'm thinking that if the chip follows the injectors and methanol that I'll be ok. Thoughts anyone?

I wouldn't switch the injectors or chips. I have used Eric's street and race chips in Alky injected cars including my own. The timing and fuel adjustments may allow you to get the tune the way you want it. What kind of chip is in the GN?

I have the turbotweek non alky chip in GN and 55lb injectors. I have turbotweek alky chip and 60lb injectors in the T-type

inmo the 2800 stall is not enough for the 63/68 turbo.going to have to address that even in a bb version.

You're moving over the Alky too? I can see swapping the FMIC over but both Buicks would be really fun with Alky.

The 55lbs can probably stay on the GN if you go single Alky, for sure with duals if your E.T. goal is practical. If you decide to not go Alky on the GN I think you should sell the 55's and just get 80's to be on the safe side. BTW, if you do buy Alky for the GN Eric,TT, will update that chip for you. He's really cool about changing his chips with your combo, I bug the crap out of him and he's always been great.