2 cars neither run

black_magic87

Buddah
This week is starting off so bad. My mom's 93 century won't start but that is another problem, i took her to work today in the GN it started no trouble taking her there car ran great.I i went to pick her up and the car wouldn't start, it seems the battery is being drained somehow...this is the second time its happened in the last few days, the funny part is the car cranked over just fine.I have just went outside and checked it with a voltmeter its down to 8.44 volts "i had a full 12 when i put that battery in this morning" . I have checked the most of the common things like lights and what not but can't find anything. oh and the fan has been unpluged and i run it off of a switch so i know its not that. Anyone that can clue me in, i would be most apreciated

sorry for venting just not my week with either car i guess

Robert

If it just started draining, I'd first suspect that the alternator has stopped charging. This is assuming you haven't changed anything. Take it off and have it tested. Might save you alot of trouble.

hmmm

Well i just went out there and checked the car out and there is something draining it the dome light barley came on when i went to pop the hood and pulled the battery out. i do remember in the morning that volt light did come on when i started the car. can you think of anything else that could drain the battery

Thanks in advance

Robert

Well you need to put an ammeter in line with the positive cable and see how much is being drawn. A couple amps shouldnt drain it very fast.

You may have a bad alternator not charging your battery. That ones easy to test, you start the car and check the volts. If theyre way above 12.0 its working. If you have a scanmaster..just click till you see batt..

Three possibles, bum battery, bad alt, or something pulling an excessive amount of current. 99% is one of the first two.

HTH

Julio

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering.. can I put the voltmeter to it in the morning when I put the good charged battery in the car and see if its reading more than 12 volts.

Robert

Ya got a voltmeter.. your there.

Install the battery and read its voltage, come back an hour latter and read its voltage. Should be pretty much the same. If its dropped 1 volt, you have something loading it down. Start the car, measure the voltage..should be above 13v. Also when installing the battery the terminals shouldnt spark. If so..then you have something loading the battery. Just make sure everything is off in the car.

What can I say...

HTH

Have you checked the trunk light to make sure it isn't staying on?

You may have current draining back thru a bad diode. You did say charge light was on i think. Diodes are inside alternator. They can be bought seperately.
Jumping another car off with your car on is what kills them fastest-especially when car with dead battery is started.

Well just getting in the door "12:30 a.m." i went out to take a quick peek at the car, gave the key a turn and nothing now not even the solenoid clicking off BUT when i turned the key the volt light in the dash didn't come on this time. I can turn the headlights on and the dome light and gauges dimmer a lil but hitting the power widows everything dimms same as when i tried to start everything went dark, so today i guess i'll pull the alt and run it over to advance and get it check.

Thanks for your replies and putting up with me

Robert