2-3 shift is worth $@)% !! HELP!

GS70350

Round Headlights.Like em?
Hey guys. My transmisison has been working really well ever since i got my car. ive been really impressed. But today, after driving it around in the really hot weather(not that hot, only like 90). the water temp hit 190 in traffic, thats the highest its ever gone. Now, the transmission seems to be about dead. it shifts nice and firm, but takes a while to shift. it slips, before it shifts. still chirps the tires, but it flares and slips like mad.
i adjusted the TV cable out some to see if it would help, and now it just wont hardly shift into 3rd at all. the 2-3 shift is HORRIBLE! just slips for about 2 seconds then goes in, but you cant tell if it goes in, can just barely tell by the sound. I checked the fluid level, and it seems a bit high. could the fluid have boiled or something and be foaming causing it to shift this sloppy. i thought the 1-2 shift was what went out on these cars,
but on mine, that still works great, its the 2-3. its really worrying me, because if its goin, i dont have the money to fix it. plus, my tranny is going out in my GS as well, and i just put it up since i dont have the money to fix that. Please give me some pointers or something. thanks
Jacob Morse

Sorry, but it sounds like you've scorched a band...did the same thing to mine on the 2-3 shift...scary when it flares and the engine revs so high under WOT.

Baby it until you can have it repaired.

Jacob,

By the time a 2-3 flare has shown up unfortunately it's too late. I agree with Zam 70 you'll just have to baby it until you can afford to have the trans looked at. What you'll find is the direct clutch pack will be burned up. The band will probably be in sad shape too but the 2-3 flare is caused by a bad direct clutch pack.

Good Luck
Neal

These guys are probably right. However, how did you reset the cable? A good way to give it one more shot is this: Let the the nose of the cable housing come all the way forward by pushing in on the "D" shaped release, then let go of the release. Then have someone hold the throttle wide open at the throttle body (engine off :)), push the "D" shaped release in and hold it in. Now with your fingers, push the nose of the cable housing back as far as you can. Then release the "D" shaped release. It should be set properly like this. It's a shot anyhow.
If that doesn't work, then a Goober's Garage attempt would be to drop the pan, put a filter and fluid change in it and if you feel comfortable with it, a can of TransX. That stuff has temporarily fixed alot of other types of transmissions for me. I'll probably get alot of flack over that suggestion but oh well.