1st timer trying to tune with powerlogger

diomedes

Im new to Buicks with much to learn about Turbo Buicks and my car. I have replaced all sparkplugs, the ECM is AC Delco replacement, the injectors have red on top but cant tell which ones they are, I have Hooker headers, 3" down pipe. The car idles rough when cold and runs pretty well once warmed up as long and I dont punch the throttle. Thats when it sputters, makes a pop then finally trucks through it. This weekend I installed the powerlogger and took the car out for a spin. I have an idea of what Im looking for but am not sure what all the stuff translate to so just in case I included all the info available. Here are is the data I got:

IDLE VALUES
ECM = 14.8:1
MAF = 6.3 G/S
LV8 = 45 G/C
TPS = .44 V
RPM= 750
EGR = 0.0%
Wastegate = 0
Speed = 0
IAC= 51 Cts
WB AFR = 7.35:1
MAP = 0
EGT = 32 DegF
Coolant = 203 DegF
Intake Air = 11.7 DegF
Ign Volts = 12.6 V
Boost = -29.5 lnHg (Never registers)
O2 = .427 ( in idle this spikes between .4 and 4.4)
X-Counts = 129 Cts
Advance = 22.9 Deg
Knock Retard = 0.0 Deg
Knock Counts = 1 Cts (this shows from starting my car)
Injector Pw = 4.3 mS
Injector Duty = 2.7 %
INT = 123
BLM = 129

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE
ECM = 10.9:1
MAF = 211.4 G/S
LV8 = 255 G/C
TPS= 3.81 v
RPM = 3750
EGR = 0.0%
Wastegate= 49%
Speed 74 mph
IAC = 86 cts
WB AFR = 7.35:1
MAP= 0.00 KPA
EGT = 32 DegF
Coolant = 200.3 DegF
Intake Air= 102.2 DegF
Ign Volts = 12.1 V
Boost = -29.5 lnHg (Boost does not register but I hear the whine)
02 = .866 V
X-Counts = 143 Cts
Advance= 21.5 Deg
Knock Retard = 0.0 Deg
Knock Counts = 1 Cts (Always there from the time I start the car)
Injector Pw = 29.24 mS
Injector Duty = 91.7%
INT = 128
BLM = 125

All suggestions welcomed since I know crap of what to do!

Iac at idle looks high. You need to reset Tps when you set Iac and also turn the car off then restart.
MAF not maxxing out at WOT
Looks like your running rich - high O2s at WOT.

But 1st, find out what injectors & what chip you have then retest. If the chip is old school, I would get an extender or a TT chip.

I will answer one thing for you. The boost wont register till you wire it up. you have to run a wire from the MAP sensor to the powerlogger. Also there are a few things that needs to be done. you need to find out what injector you have like stated above. then you need a chip to match your injectors and turbo and other mods. also the 02's are high so its running real rich. coolant temp is pretty high you might want to get a 160 stat in her. there are also other things but i will let more people chime in and have some fun.just remember fill free to post up with any questions you may have. you have done a major step by getting the powerlogger. that is by far the best move anyone can do to let us know how to help you. keep up the good work.

Thanks for answering about my boost, did not know that, so where do i begin to do that?

The chip looks stock / replacement

here is the info I pulled off the injectors, why would someone put Ford injectors? How do I begin to figure out the flow?

Ford 8/7/01
F1SE-E5A
280 150 945
Info from googles says
305 CC 30LB 61 HP High IMPEDENCE
Awesome info guys!

I see you are running hooker headers. If you want the car to run right, get rid of them and put the stockers back on. The hookers have too much volume which cause the O2 sensor to cool at idle which will give you bad BLM numbers. They also cause slow spool up on the turbo. Put the stock manifolds back on, you will be glad you did. :)

here is the info I pulled off the injectors, why would someone put Ford injectors? How do I begin to figure out the flow?

Ford 8/7/01
F1SE-E5A
280 150 945
Info from googles says
305 CC 30LB 61 HP High IMPEDENCE

Red tops are 30lb Ford injectors. They are commonly used as stock replacements. They will work just fine. I am running Ford green tops, 42.5 lb. injectors.

as far as wiring the powerlogger up there are a few posts this one should be able to get you fixed up

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-trans-am-tech/206833-alky-powerlogger-installed-pics.html

i also agree with the hooker headers and crossover. i would ditch them and go with the stockers or get ahold of nick micale @ Index and get a set of the headers he makes. I think he makes by far the best headers for our cars. also those injector will be fine to some point. if you are just looking to get the car running those injectors will be fine but it wont take long to max them out. if you want to give yourself some room for inprovement go ahead and get the high Z 60lb injectors from fullthrottlespeed.com and get a turbo tweak chip to match. but first thing first make sure your chip is burned for the injectors you have or the car will run like crap.

Tps

TPS at WOT is low but you had plenty of fuel at WOT despite the low number, think the computer has to see at least 3.75v. Reset your IAC like someone suggested then definately readjust you TPS, idle TPS was good (.44) WOT TPS should be adjusted to at least 4.2v. You must have been running race gas as you said you had almost 30lbs of boost( wasn't reading?) with 02's in the 860s with 0 KR, if you got these numbers on pump gas WOW:eek: more power to you. But then again what was actual boost???

Your new to Buicks and your 1st WOT run with the PowerLogger is a 30psi blast(whoops you said it doesn't read). Awesome or lucky. Thank God she was FAT...:eek: if it was 30psi. Before you do another WOT blast you should get you a Boost gauge or get the PowerLooger to read boost. Your probably fortunate you didn't run 30psi. Do you have any idea what your boost level is? You can adjust TPS without doing a WOT run, Have who ever is helping as it's a2man job, you need to remove the floor mat and floor it ,key on engine off. Have who ever is helping you read out the volts at idle and wot while you're adjusting between the 2 and then tighten TPS down once you have found that happy volt numbers for bothe idle and wot.

Car is fat/rich so you could adjust/decrease fuel or increase boost, zero knock. What is your Fuel pressure set at, 42.5 line off? If you were running alky and pump gas you could back off the fuel or alky. You have room to tune . Still 1st on the agenda is get to finding what your boost level is set at then adjust fuel or boost depending on your scan tool info.

Some call em redtops others redstripes, but we recently changed the injectors which were red, the red ones we had happened to be old Thunderbird Supercoupes which are Bosch red stripes and only 30lbers( like Mike said) think the last 3#'s are 756. Stockers were only 28lbs. If you can read the numbers off the injectors I can go dig out the old ones and see if numbers match-up. Your lucky you weren't at 30psi as those injectors would have never covered that amount of boost..............

his powerlogger is reading -29.5 since its not hooked up he wasnt running 29.5 I think he need to address the chip and injector deal before he starts beating on it.

Chips and Injectors

Man I have a handful of 30lb chips but like 231 said you would do better with a TT chip. But if you can't afford one right now I Have a fairly new Thrasher that worked great. Actually ran it up untill March , then I went with 009s TurboTweak chip and Razors alky system. Also have an Old School Conley Mag4 race chip but it has 32degrees of timing it'll blow up your car. The Thrasher is a 92 octane street chip then I think there is a 104 octane race chip. I'll give you my old SuperCoupe injectors as they are flow matched and modified to have better atomization they worked fine. You will probably want to go bigger. But even with these tiny red injectors The car runs low 12's here at altitude(5400ft) with a stock turbo and 20lbs boost,. Let me know if the chips will work for you as you can have them as well as the injectors you may not want to waste your time with em', again the chips are for a stock turbo. Let me know;)

Forget what I said about WOT TPS as notacarlo pointed out that wasn't a WOT run as rpms were only 3750. Also like 231 mentioned your coolant temp is up there.Get your car tuned up with what you have on the car right now, again you need to see what your boost is, At the least what does it go to/read out on the lower right handside of the dash as there is a Factory boost gauge there not accurate but at least you can get some kind of idea. Do you have a FPG or a adjustible FPR? Our car has run with redstripes and a stock turbo for decades you can get her running pretty good. Then down the road you can upgrade and go bigger, you definatey can learn to tune with what you have right nowand tune it good..

Awesome info, just what i needed to get started.

Heres the punchlist I gathered:

1. Reset IAC
2. Reset TPS
3. Replace O2 sensor
4. Wire Boost Guage to Powerlogger

Make some runs, try to get higher RPMs and repost info
(to include boost info)

Chavo, I will have to take you up on your offer. I need everything I can get. For right now Im just trying to get it running well, so any mods, such as different headers, or upgrades have to wait, but will now be kept in mind for the future.

Thanks for the info, I feel giddy, like a teenager looking down a girls blouse. :D

diomedes

Send me a pm so I can get your address and I'll send what chips you can safely use. The flowmatched injectors you can have, think I have an adjustable heavyduty acctuator for your turbo,might have an old bosch adj fpr. I'll go thru the shed a put a package together. Man I sold a Dutweiller necked IC for 40 bucks you can't buy thr neck for that. Actually have stock delco maf that was working fine. Send me your address you pay shipping and you can have this stuff,....I don't need it.

For right now Im just trying to get it running well, so any mods, such as different headers, or upgrades have to wait, but will now be kept in mind for the future.
Thanks for the info, I feel giddy, like a teenager looking down a girls blouse. :D

IMHO, I think the first thing you should do is get rid of the hooker headers. The computer relies on the O2 sensor for fueling information for most of your load ranges. Those headers do not allow the O2 sensor to reach an optimum temp to get a reliable reading at lower load levels. My son ran hookers for a year and could not get it running correctly on a mildly modified motor. Had the same problems you described. Finally put a stock setup back on and all the problems went away. Just my 2 :rolleyes:

I was just going over your data again and noticed your ign. volts is kind of low :confused: 12.6v at idle, 12.1 at WOT? Your voltage should be in the 13.6 volt range. Check your charging system.