1st gear only

Jack Russo

I bought a replacement radiator from alradco because mine was shot and preparing to put it in myself, but could never get a day off to do it since I work all the time. A friend of mine who has a shop offered to drop it in for me, he's a well respected mechanic and knows what he's doing. So I let him do it.
Anyways he said all went in smooth and I picked it up after work and the car isn't shifting outta 1st.
I bring it back to him and say what the F did you do? He swears up and down he didn't even drive the car. Just dropped the rad in.
Well anyways now my car goes into first but doesn't shift out, even if I try manually. I think it's too much of a coincidence after he had it. He thinks it's a band and just bad timing.
I am not a tranny guy at all, any ideas what coulda happened???
This is what happens when u pay someone with a coupla six packs,
Thanks
Jack

The spring may have fallen out of the governor. Drop the pan and see if it is laying in the bottom of it. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it. It is a common problem.

It's a common problem if your "friend" was out blowing the tires off your car and got out of the throttle real quick. That's what makes it spit the spring. You'll need a new governor cover gasket. Lesson learned: don't let anyone drive a turbo Buick without supervision!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks guys. Definitely a lesson learned. I mean he owns a big shop and is a smart guy. So I figured y not let him drop it I'm since the weather is getting hot, and I'll buy the guys some six packs.
I asked his young son if he was out driving it after then rad was in and he swore no. That the car sat right where I left it on the lift. Just seemed a coincidence that i drive it out. I turned around n kinda yelled at him and left it there. Went back this morning and he said he dropped the pan and the governor looked fine. And swears the band went at the exact time it sat in his shop.
I'm gonna drop the pan myself when I can get time.
Dta . Don't trust anyone!

Pull up on the tv spring aggressively a few times, it could also be stuck, even if it was the band once you got it up to about 35 mph and let if it should shift into third. Not shifting at all is def pointing towards governor issue.

He probably poured the spring out of the pan with the oil. The spring is about the size of a ballpoint pen spring.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

True if the band went, it would be different than just hanging in first gear the whole time. I had the car to around 5000 rpm- 35 mph hoping it would go into 3rd but nothing.
I tried the TV cable, and spring , no such luck. feels good.
While i was out driving around a bit once the car goes to about 3500rpm it kinda goes into neutral and just coasts. not really moving even tho the engine revs higher and higher.
me and my wallet hoping its the governor. i wont be able to drop the pan until Monday.
I was thinking, maybe some trannie fluid leaked out with the radiator conversion and he didnt refill it and then took it for a blast around since he knew i was at work and wouldnt know.
things that make you go hmmm. too much a co inky dink.

Check cooler lines and ck flow if they run through your new radiator....Just one more thing that would have been messed with. If he is telling you the truth very odd situation.... I have lots of springs if one is needed and maybe a spare just to have?

True if the band went, it would be different than just hanging in first gear the whole time. I had the car to around 5000 rpm- 35 mph hoping it would go into 3rd but nothing.
I tried the TV cable, and spring , no such luck. feels good.
While i was out driving around a bit once the car goes to about 3500rpm it kinda goes into neutral and just coasts. not really moving even tho the engine revs higher and higher.
me and my wallet hoping its the governor. i wont be able to drop the pan until Monday.
I was thinking, maybe some trannie fluid leaked out with the radiator conversion and he didnt refill it and then took it for a blast around since he knew i was at work and wouldnt know.
things that make you go hmmm. too much a co inky dink.
You can put the car on a lift with a helper and see if your getting second oil by using a pry bar on the servo cover. Depress the cover and it will come back if second oil is applied when the helper gets the driveshaft speed up enough. Still sounds like a governor leak though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1-2 shift valve or another valve could be stuck in the valve body. You could try raising the back wheels off the ground, bring RPMs up to about 900 to a 1000 in reverse then shift back and forth between drive and reverse a couple of times and see if it breaks loose.

Hey guys, it's been awhile. Just wanted to get any thoughts. Took the pan down and the governor is fine. I'm now thinking valve body.... U agree?
it's now at my friend's shop who knows Dave Husek, he is going to try and make it next week to check it out.