1989 Turbo Trans AM 20th Anniversary

bravesoul1

Please, can anybody help me find a HONEST mechanic who knows this car to work on it who lives in Maryland? I live in Harford County, and will travel (once I get battery in car) to knowledgeable person who knows these cars and can help me with it.
Thanks
TTA #603

What needs done? I take my cars to nobody. The one time I did, the mechanic said "your cars a lot faster than your buddies" this was a "turbo" mechanic too.

For starters,the car has been sitting, covered, full gas tank for a year. The heater core blew while at a mechanic I thought I could trust (he put 2,000 miles on it and blew the heater core, cut the hose (I have the parts). I have the new engine mount that needs to go on it. Car has 103,000 miles, so I wanted to some preventive and replace timing chain, water pump, belt tensioner (have parts) and have the engine and hoses looked at to make sure they didn't need replacing. Not sure if brakes need replacing (I have parts). Steering wheel doesn't feel right, not sure what that is about The fan to blow out conditioning, etc. is kaput (I have another one to put in). I have a lot of NOS parts I bought, but I do not know how to work on these cars. Was told it has a tiny oil leak but guy didn't know where. The turbo has never felt right to me, two hoses on it have been replaced but still it is not right, so might need rebuild. Need someone to work with me, not rip me off, only put what is needed on car now and anything preventive due to mileage. Also told weatherstripping was leaking and went to pick car up and right front passenger side was gushy soaked, rest of car not to bad, some wet on driver side, cleaned it all off, dried it and opened all doors and hatchback for hours in sun to dry it out (hence battry dead although we replaced it, that one went dead in a short period of time. Have kept it covered with excellent cover and have blankets, etc. all over interior to protect it. have checked and see no mold (have kept conditioning the leather seats. Have weatherstripping for t top - two long pieces not sure it is everything needed if it is leaking. Was told it could have been when the heater core blew, the water could have come from that.

I would have the cooling system pressure tested to make sure the head gaskets arent blown... if your mechanic beat the pants off the car and blew the head gasket it could have pressurized the system and caused the heater core to "blow". If youre planning on keeping this car a while and driving it, it would really benefit you to learn how to wrench on it, these are tinkerer's cars, theres no way I could afford to keep mine if I had to pay someone to fix it!!!

Another vote for Anderson Performance. Billy knows his stuff and does quality work. He's done all the work on my car and I'm very happy so far. The shop is right across the Bay Bridge (nice drive and excellent food if you head out to drop off your car).

Depending on where in Harford County you are, Jim Dunn at Buick Turbo Performance Center (610-721-4695) in Secane, PA, might be closer. A bunch of the MAGNA guys highly recommend him. I've never used him, but he has an excellent reputation.

On the "other" board, there's a very active group of guys from the mid-Atlantic region. Here's more info about your question: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/m...k-friendly-auto-repair-performance-shops.html

Another vote for Anderson Performance. Billy knows his stuff and does quality work. He's done all the work on my car and I'm very happy so far. The shop is right across the Bay Bridge (nice drive and excellent food if you head out to drop off your car).

Depending on where in Harford County you are, Jim Dunn at Buick Turbo Performance Center (610-721-4695) in Secane, PA, might be closer. A bunch of the MAGNA guys highly recommend him. I've never used him, but he has an excellent reputation.

On the "other" board, there's a very active group of guys from the mid-Atlantic region. Here's more info about your question: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/m...k-friendly-auto-repair-performance-shops.html
+1 for Billy Anderson. Very good guy to deal with and very knowledgeable. He did my tuning, exhaust, and other misc mechanical work. His trans guy is one of the best 200R4 builders in the area. Also heard good things about Jim Dunn but have never been to his place.