1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

hello; You talked about heat cycling the heads. So the engine is in? Or is there another method of heat cycling without the engine running?
IBBY

Were all hot rodders, from the misguided kid that puts a $10.99 autozone "fart can" on his honda to the guy that builds a 500k show car.

Well put. Very nice and thanks for sharing.

What's up with the steering box, is it a quicker ratio, lighter? where would one find one?
nice build

What's up with the steering box, is it a quicker ratio, lighter? where would one find one?
nice build

I got the lighter steering box gm used from Detroit speed and engineering along with a billet steering shaft. It's blueprinted and loses 10-15 lbs over stock

wow

I'm a 23 year old college student hotrodder, and I hang out on the weekends with my Harvard Law graduate hotrodder buddy... As much as I like working on my own **** when it's 109 degrees, I'd much rather write someone a check to do it instead. I've now seen both sides, and honestly I like his side much better. I've got to admit though, I am about as anal as it gets when it comes to attention to detail... I'd have a really hard time finding a shop that could put up with my insanity haha!

You sir are doing everything exactly as I would if I were in your shoes right down to the parts you chose. Keep it going full steam man. Beat the hell out of this thing. Drive it daily! Door panels are cheap, rock chips can be fixed... everything else can be rebuilt (as you know) so please drive the hell out of this thing!

My only suggestions is to MAKE SURE the body bushings are installed right, and get the weld in GNX rear seat brace. These will be critical for keeping the B-pillars from cracking. Also put dynomat on EVERYTHING... I can't wait to rip this damn interior out when it cools off so I can actually insulate this car.
all i can say is WOW!! THAT WHAT I WANT TO DO TO MY GN BUT IM TRYING TO GET MY SYCLONE DUN TO 30G ON THE SYCLONE ANY1 ONE WANT TO BUY A SY WITH 30GS IN HER LOL SO I CAN DO THIS TO MY GN!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ILL PUT MY MONEY ON U!!

nice build

those are the late model Delphi 600 series boxes.. they actually use them on the 99 and newer GM pickups, but they also make version for retrofit into older cars. i don't know if they are any lighter than a regular Saginaw box, but they are set up internally more like a rack and pinion and they are supposed to help with steering feel.

They are facing the wrong way. the inner tie rod nut is suppose to be on the outside, not the inside of the center link.

Just want to say thanks for sharing your build with us, I've been watching this thread from the beginning and look forward to your updates.

Chuck

Your inner-tie rods are installed wrong. Love the build

here is the pic you are talking about:

IMG_0473.jpg

looks to me like the center link is also backwards, at least compared to my car.. i just now ran out and looked at it. the center link goes back towards the crossmember, with the nuts on the inner tie rod ends pointing forward.. i'd hope that this was just a simple mistake on the shop's part and not a symptom of them getting simple things wrong on the other high dollar cars they do. the welding on the frame without locking it down on a fixture until it cools down would also worry me..

yep , thats the pic. I believe you are correct on the centerlink as well. everything else looks dynamite. hopefully the frame is straight as an arrow. Only thing i am curious about is will the gunmetal metal frame be seen from under the gn once everything is done?? meaning if you look at the car sideways will the gun metal center section stick out like a sore thumb or will it look good? I wish i can afford that steering box :(

Thanks for the catch on the steering linkage, the linkage is 180 degrees from where it should be. I stopped by and showed them the build picture you guys posted. Gotta love a forum like this where someone can catch that from a quick picture haha.

The lower part of the motor mount was boxed in and welded to the frame, yes.

The rear should be back from powder coat tomorrow and hopefully it will be assembled and in the car by Thursday at the latest. I'm a bit worried on how the pro touring swaybar, watts link and exhaust will all fit but I guess that's not my problem at the moment.

Keep up the good observations, I truly do appreciate it!

Only thing i am curious about is will the gunmetal metal frame be seen from under the gn once everything is done?? meaning if you look at the car sideways will the gun metal center section stick out like a sore thumb or will it look good?

Ditto

only a small amount shows on the bottom and it will be lowered, you would have to be very low to see it. Either way, we shall see!