1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

After a few coats of the black making sure I have 100% coverage its time for the clear. I wanted a few layers of clear to give it added protection. Worst thing in the world is to go through all this trouble and see a scuff a few months later. Trust me I know! This is the SEM satin clear. I didn't want to change the glossiness of the paint, just protect it.

IMG_0772.jpg

And this is the finished product, its a bit dark but you cant tell its not factory.

IMG_0779.jpg

So 6 pieces down and about 20 more to go, including the dash. I'll keep working on it but its basically the same thing over and over. With the dash and door panel I'll be doing something special and Ill keep you guys up to speed on that.

I let it dry for about 20 minutes. I followed the instructions to a T on my a pillar panel as an experiment and it was very hard to scratch

Looking great. I like the interior change. Might have to do that on mine when it goes back together.

by the way, anyone know where to get an upper dash panel. Mine was destroyed when it got pulled out. Any color is fine. I ordered one but it never showed up and I had to get a refund.

Is there any chance I can take the C6 for a spin :biggrin:.

Great build, should turn out pretty good.

I though i was looking at a pic of my dash for a sec! torn mine out over the weekend.:eek: Did you have a chance to check the articulation on the rear setup with the Curries?
Chris

dsapper, I admire your build. This is the build I wish I could do but don't have the resources for. I wanted to add comment about the bracing that may be more relevant to those reading this thread. First comment is that you can take the front GP frame brace and mount it more forward with new mounting holes. I had to do that because my stretched SLIC was in the way.

web.jpg

I was wondering about the braces outlined in light blue for the wheel well area of the frame. Are you using those? What car do they come off of? I'm doing everything except for the cowl to fender braces. Thanks

BuickMike, is that a grand prix bar that you straighten? It does not have the bend at the ends.

by the way, anyone know where to get an upper dash panel. Mine was destroyed when it got pulled out. Any color is fine. I ordered one but it never showed up and I had to get a refund.

i think Kirban was working on a repro part a while back.

I though i was looking at a pic of my dash for a sec! torn mine out over the weekend.:eek: Did you have a chance to check the articulation on the rear setup with the Curries?
Chris

Check it out how? Its been on the road a few times at low speed (30mph max) and we have cycled the suspension on jacks. But no real testing

349, wtf! Maybe I'll just try and salvage my piece for that kind of money

Good luck - as old as these are - and after all these years in the sun - once you fix one section, it will probably crack in another.

Amazing build, thanks a lot for sharing.

Ill figure something out, but I'm not paying 349 haha. Also, anyone ever checked out Ultimate Pedals? I just ordered a set of grand national pedals from them, cool company

Another quick question. Are there replacements to the chrome strip that goes along the center of the entire dash?

349, wtf! Maybe I'll just try and salvage my piece for that kind of money

Haha, I called them about that. From what I gathered that is the last known NOS one left. GBody had them for $200 awhile back before they sold out and I wish I bought one.

BuickMike, is that a grand prix bar that you straighten? It does not have the bend at the ends.

It is a GP brace. I did not modify it. It does have the bends at the ends. You just can't see if from that angle. I have an extra full set of braces that I need to paint up and sell one of these days.

I got to see this beast first hand today, WOW pics do not do it justice...I liked the rear frame tie-in in the back, I totally need that mod done. I was so impressed by the work on that car, so I stopped by and talked to them about having them help me with the engine fitment for my corvette roadster hybrid project. The work on that GN is top notch !!
Cant wait to see it finished, would love to go to watch the race when its done, definitely root for ya and boo the boss !!! Awesome build !!!