1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

love this build. I know I've got a TON of money poured into my Gn which was originally set up to be a pro touring car, i dont even want to know what this is costing you !!!

Looking really good. I may have missed it in the thread, but what's the expected completion date?

Peter

I'm curious about the 9" rear. I don't know that I've ever seen one with a girdle on it, in fact I've never seen one that was open on the back.

Looking really good. I may have missed it in the thread, but what's the expected completion date?

Peter

Well I'm hoping the body will be on it by the end of this month and it will be running soon after. But for total completion... who knows. After this I need to find a good body shop and I'm planning quite a few mods, need to see how realistic a few are. Then after body shop hell Ill be transplanting modern seats in and redoing the interior, electronics and stereo. I'm hoping to finish sometime this year honestly. I'm getting married in march and my hot rod budget may be subject to board review at that point haha

I'm curious about the 9" rear. I don't know that I've ever seen one with a girdle on it, in fact I've never seen one that was open on the back.

I wrote about it multiple times but, its a nascar based contraption that has a diff cover. I thought it fit a GM build pretty well and was unique.

So, I had to order a steering wheel to fit the paddle shifters for the TCI 6x and ordered another momo gotham. I loved this wheel in my camaro, it felt and looked great and I cant tell you how many compliments I got on it. I'm going to modify it a bit and see how it turns out but this is basically it. I also put up a picture of what it looked like in my camaro

gotham.jpg

web_CIMG1256.jpg

web_CIMG1262.jpg

The rest of the interior is going to be awhile but it should be interesting...

I'm in the market for a steering wheel myself. Do they offer something similar in "D" shaped? Figured that would help my big ass with ingress/egress.

ok, so I need your opinions. I put the black center caps on the rear to compare. What looks best, the black center caps or the polished look on the front? Also, open lug nuts to look more race inspired or the chrome closed end ones on there?
I am partial to Black center caps and ALL black Gorilla locking lugs but ultimately you have to choose what You like best...

1105gmhtp-06-+1986-buick-t-type+wheel.jpg

Dave this car is looking Awesome!! Keep up the progress & pic's..... ;)

Scot W.

I bought a Momo steering wheel for another one of my cars that I decided to sell. I never installed it in that car and had it laying around. I put it in my GN even though I had second thought about doing it. I love it. It feels great. I wouldn't ever take it back out. Expensive steering wheel upgrade but I'm glad I did it. I like the wheel you chose and have been following your amazing build.

Attachments

• momo.jpg
    momo.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,103
I am partial to Black center caps and ALL black Gorilla locking lugs but ultimately you have to choose what You like best...

View attachment 141127

Dave this car is looking Awesome!! Keep up the progress & pic's..... ;)

Scot W.

Thanks, I liked your combo scot, thats why I copied it haha. You have the benefit of an all white car though, on a black I'm wondering if the chrome would look better for more contrast. I have the black caps on now with chrome lugs, ill just keep it that way till I can see it with the body on and go from there.

Thanks, I liked your combo scot, thats why I copied it haha. You have the benefit of an all white car though, on a black I'm wondering if the chrome would look better for more contrast. I have the black caps on now with chrome lugs, ill just keep it that way till I can see it with the body on and go from there.

I don't know if they make them but you could always go with the black chrome. It looks nice because you get the shine of chrome but the menacing black I just don't know if thats available on lug nuts.

I don't know if they make them but you could always go with the black chrome. It looks nice because you get the shine of chrome but the menacing black I just don't know if thats available on lug nuts.

It probably is but you would have to see the wheels. They are shot-peened black, meaning its a bumpy, almost flat, black. I don't think it would look right on there, but I can photoshop it up and see I guess ;)

I seriously can't find anyone who has reviewed the TCI 6x transmission. I realize it's not going to be as fast shifting up and down as an M3 or Ferrari, but I'm curious as to how fast it really is. I would love to go "paddle shifter" in a 23 year old car, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. You have GOT to provide some feedback on that thing when you get behind the wheel. :biggrin:

I seriously can't find anyone who has reviewed the TCI 6x transmission. I realize it's not going to be as fast shifting up and down as an M3 or Ferrari, but I'm curious as to how fast it really is. I would love to go "paddle shifter" in a 23 year old car, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. You have GOT to provide some feedback on that thing when you get behind the wheel. :biggrin:

I was on the fence for the same reason but got some wheel time locally with a guy who put one behind an ls2 in a 69 Camaro. It really is a great transmission, you can customize every single aspect of it with the included electronic controller, the power handling capabilities and the obvious benefits of 6 gears vs 4. Honestly the paddle shiftier is more of a gimmick in my opinion.

In the Ferrari its actually a manual transmission that is shifted faster than any human can, if your in first at a stop light and let off the brake you roll backwards just like if the clutch was in on a regular car, its honestly the coolest transmission I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The paddle shifter in the 6x is more like a modern car with the -/+ gate next to the Drive slot on an automatic. It shifts the gears but its more for show than anything. I only got it for the cool factor, I'm really just interested in the transmission and controller portion of it. But if I'm going to spend that kind of money on the transmission I might as well get the cool paddles as well. The only paddle shifters that are worth anything, as far as performance goes in my opinion, is a double clutch setup (gtr, Porsche etc) or the F1 style like the Ferrari, rest are just poor copies.

So two questions.

1. Can you get the transmission with the +/- floor shift because I thank that would be more fun than the paddle shift? Also would look really neat with a stock appearing console plate and stock shifter with the +/- next to the D on it.

2. What did that tranny setup cost?

So two questions.

1. Can you get the transmission with the +/- floor shift because I thank that would be more fun than the paddle shift? Also would look really neat with a stock appearing console plate and stock shifter with the +/- next to the D on it.

2. What did that tranny setup cost?

1. They have a floor shifter but its not stock appearing in any way, it currently uses the stock shifter and plate and you can shift up and down through the first 4 gears, you cannot on the last two with a stock shifter.

2. alot