1987 GN Hardtop - 5277 Original Miles

carlsbadGN

For a short period of time, I am going to put my beautiful, ultra low mileage Grand National, up for sale. It is a 1987 hardtop with digital dash. I purchased the car in Chicago in November, 2002, when she had 206 original miles on the odometer. It was transported via closed carrier to San Diego County where it has been sparingly driven and now shows 5277 original miles on the odometer. It is offered at a reduced price due to recent moderate damage to the front right corner of the vehicle.

The car has received the care and attention normally reserved for a favored four legged family member. It has spent most of it’s time under a cover in the garage and strategically parked when driven outdoors. As far as I know, it has never been driven in the rain. There is still factory protective plastic on some of the dashboard panels.

I have detailed the engine compartment to a high quality and installed many needed upgrades. Those items include new 50lb Delphi injectors, Walbro 340 fuel pump with hotwire upgrade, adjustable FPR, adjustable WG, RJC boost controller, 160 degree thermostat, Big Mouth air intake, Dutt neck intercooler, Hooker exhaust, front and rear braces, Scanmaster, boost gauge, American Racing wheels (Torque Thrust II), and Nordskog digital water and oil gauges. Naturally, I installed Razor’s Alky System and a TurboTweak alky chip as added insurance against knock. A set of like new BF Goodrich 235/60R15 tires are mounted on the 8” Torque Thrust wheels and a new set of rear BF Goodrich 275/50R15 drag radials are included. The turbo charger, torque converter, transmission, and down pipe are unmolested original equipment and perform flawlessly.

In addition to frequent oil changes, the coolant and brake fluid were changed regularly. The radiator received a new core and hoses and the brake system was fitted with a new accumulator, braided front hoses, and master cylinder cover. Spark plugs, spark plug wires, O2 sensor, vacuum lines, PCV valve, GM coil pack, new alternator, and new Delco battery were also installed. This car easily passes California emissions every time.

The engine compartment was sprayed at the factory with a rust inhibiter, which I spent many hours removing by hand. Most metal black parts have been removed and powder coated in a black color. The valve covers were removed and powder coated to a factory appearance. The turbo cover, up pipe, and Big Mouth intake ducting, have been professionally chromed. Aluminum and bare metal parts were cleaned and polished to a high luster.

The interior is spotless with no rips, tears, sags, stains, or worn areas. The carpet is clean and shows little or no signs of wear. The floor mats look new and show little or no wear. Everything works, including the radio, wipers, power antenna, power seats, lighter, and turn signals. The air conditioner works as new and cools the car on the hottest days.

The undercarriage is clean and rust free, with the exception of a normal rust patina on unprotected metal components (frame and differential etc.). The front anti-sway bar and front braces are powder coated in a black color. The suspension is factory stock, including the shock absorbers. A front control arm bushing heat shield was installed to protect the rubber bushing. The vehicle tracks straight on the road and doesn’t pull when braking. It still has the original Power Master system which works as designed.

There are no mechanical or performance issues with the car. It runs very strong but it has never been timed on a drag strip. In fact, it has never been in WOT mode other than for tuning purposes. It does drip a little oil and I suspect it is from the rear main seal. There are no oil or other liquid leaks on the upper engine.

The body is straight and the body panels fit well with appropriate gaps. The doors, trunk lid, and hood, open and close as designed. The paint job is of average General Motors quality and cleans and waxes to a high luster. There are no dings, scrapes, or damage to the body other than what is described in the next paragraph. The C pillars are free of cracking since rear seat braces were installed before any power upgrades were made.

Now, after all the good stuff, comes the not so good stuff. Two months ago, as I was on my way to fuel up, a motorist failed to yield right of way and struck this beautiful car in the right front corner. The impact occurred at a low speed and resulted in moderate damage to the right front fender, front bumper, and front header panel. The header panel is busted behind the right headlight assembly and should be replaced. The bumper was bent at the right end and the front half of the right fender was crumpled. The bumper and fender are probably repairable, but should be replaced as well. Additionally, the car will require a replacement right headlight assembly, right headlight bezel, right bumper filler, right air dam, bumper strip, and running lights. The hood and grill were undamaged and the frame was unscathed.

Since I now have other interests, I would be pleased to pass this beautiful machine on to someone who is looking for top quality and something to be proud of. Now is your chance to own one of the few remaining ultra low mileage Grand Nationals, well below its market value. I am asking $24,800.00 (no trades) and you get to repair the car according to your taste, talents, and budget. Of course, you or your agent, are welcome to inspect the car by appointment. Please send me an e-mail at gcgeer@adelphia.net if you have any questions or would like to view the car. Please click or paste the following URL to view 3 photo albums of the car:

gcgeer - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks
Charlie

Damnnnnnn!!!

It was lookiing good until the accident part came up......I was going to make an offer... at $24k is about it would be worth with no mods... no accident and mods I would say $21-23k...depending on buyer.... but with the accident..... maybe $17-19k tops.............sad...

OK, thanks for the input. I don't know where you've been looking, but I haven't found any hardtops w/5000 miles for 24K in a long time.

DAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! That blows man!:eek: I say fix it and then sell it. Shouldnt be too bad to fix it honestly. Probably going to need a full repaint to make it match perfect beings it is such low miles car. Sorry to hear about your car man! Good luck selling it. I'm sure it will bring some interest!

link didn't work for me .. anyone else ?? :confused:

Works for me - click the subalbums to the left on the photobucket page.

I give the seller an A+ for the ad. Nice to see someone actually putting time into their ad, posting a link to pics, listing the location and price :biggrin: A+A+A+

Thanks, Tspool. I agree that it is nice to look at an ad and find the information that you need.

Jdpolzin, I thought a lot of guys might prefer to have it repaired/painted at a place of their choice, plus getting it at a discount. If it doesn't sell, I'll fix it and keep it for another 5 years ;)

Grumpy, if the link doesn't work for you, let me know and we'll try something else.

Hi carlsbadgn is the gn drivable??
we are having a get together in Dana Point ca, it's about 45min from carlsbad on 2-17-08 this sunday expected show ups 18-25 buicks free pizza offerd by family and I, I would love to see it.
Please see southwester section look up cruzz on 2-17-08 I hope you can make it.

thats a HARD hit to the corner.. if you can, take some pics of under the hood near that hit..

5000 miles and 24K is nice, but that damage is going to drop it under 20K.. sorry about that, that SUCKS.. good luck on the sale..

Rafael Vasquez, the invitation sounds great but I will be down at Miramar Air Station (San Diego) until late afternoon on Sunday. You all are welcome to see the car at my place after 4PM if you care to drive down. E-mail me if you would like to make arrangements.

carlsbadGN:
Sorry to hear that this happened, let alone to such a pristine low mileage example of a GN. It is too bad that you are not available to bring the car to Rafael's Pizza shop, as I expect to see at least a few people looking to buy. You are also welcome to post this same or similiar ad in the southwestern section for more exposure. Hope that everything works out for you, selling or restoring either way. HTH

That seriously sucks!!!!!!!!!
I think that SLOWCAR is dead on with the price point considering the damage and the hit that will show up on a Carfax. The title is no longer clean to a collector. The repaint alone will cost 5-7 grand done correctly. I think I would fix it and drive it myself. All-in-all, still a very nice car. Go enjoy it.

Bryan