1987 GN 4th gear pressure switch

copo

Guys, is the 4th gear pressure switch a 1 or 2 wire connection. GM no longer sells this part. Anyone know if NAPA sells it. I'm in Canada and don't want a UPS order from the US. Those crooks just screw us over. If we buy a part worth $50.00, UPS will charge me about $50. for processing and handlng. :eek: :eek:

It is a 1 wire, and they do still have it. Both 3rd and 4th are the same in a GN. Your parts person probably does not know or want to look up the part. I work in a dealer, sometimes they give me a hardtime about getting parts. Even when I have the part #.
I think the part you are looking for is # 8683502. I need to double check, as I do not have one here.

Brian

I didn't know there was a pressure switch for 3rd.
Is that part # 8683502 for 4th this part shown?

TCC_4.jpg

from http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html#Instructions#Instructions

Is that part # going to switch from 3rd to 4th as it originally did at the same mph?

Though the one you receive may be slightly different in appearance, it will be the correct part for that switch. Your trans apparently doesn't have a 3rd gear switch. Is this in a GN? You can test the switch you have by unscrewing it and putting air to it while testing continuity with a multimeter.

INEEDAGN said:
Though the one you receive may be slightly different in appearance, it will be the correct part for that switch. Your trans apparently doesn't have a 3rd gear switch. Is this in a GN? You can test the switch you have by unscrewing it and putting air to it while testing continuity with a multimeter.

Note title of post: 1987 GN 4th gear pressure switch

Copo,
I didn't see anything on your web site about a GN but it is in your signature. If you have the original trans or at least the BRF style with the correct valve body, you do have the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.

I changed both of mine a short time ago with that same part number mentioned earlier. No problems. Improved smoothness of shifting. Yes, it will look a little different if it has never been changed. I can't id the photo you posted, my computer isn't displaying it. No, the Monte site doesn't mention the 3rd gear switch because they have a different valve body. Good instructions though.

HTH

Yes I have a 87 GN still with the original switches and solnoid. I ordered the pressure switch from GM. The parts guy did talk to one of the mechanics who had a 200-R4 and replaced 2 switches. I have ordered a 2nd switch part # 8683502 . :D Thx guys