1986 GN/Chevy Bow Tie Engine

Pat, didn't that thing dyno at 1400 HP or so?

Hey Mac:
Right about there, or darn close to it, will have to contact Kenny D to get the numbers. I've read some posts that show some buick guys going to chevys (some in GN bodies). Maybe less expensive in the long run?? We still getting together before the big flood gets here (you know, global warming)? Leaving for Ks to see Dotty/Toto - my penance is severe.

pat

has suspension been upgraded since them 1/4 times?
what will car need to turn 9s as its obvious hp is there!
anyone want to chime in that know the car id appreciate it
mike

Ray, its good to hear from you and thxs for your gracious remarks. I see that you're still in the corps, you're a good man and can see its a career now. I do remember us meeting at Carlsbad and doing a banzai going for the wall (a few times), and yes, the damn thiing went 140's and et ranged somewhere between 12 to 13.50. I also heard about your building another engine that was very quick, then you sold (?) it and took a break. Give a call when you're in town.

pat

Pat,

First off, thanks a bunch! Yes, the Marine Corps has been good to me over the years, I have a little under 6 years left before retiring now. Then I plan on building Buick's..LOL! Yes in regards to the engine it turned out pretty good, it was a scary street car with 579rwhp, I think Lee squeezed 620 out of it with a little tuning the last I heard. Anyhow, I do miss that car! I had to sale it due to me getting orders to Pensacola, FL. There was no way I could take it with me. I know cruzn57 (Lee) has done some wonderful things to it since. I'm sure it's going to be at least a 8-9Sec when he's through with it. Lee's a great guy and a very important part of the Turbo Buick community. Right now I have a 87 Buick WE4 and 64 Buick Special, that I'm working on a budget V8 single turbo set up for it right now running on methanol. I love DonWang theories…. Well gotta get back to class now, chat more later.

Ray

Pat,

First off, thanks a bunch! Yes, the Marine Corps has been good to me over the years, I have a little under 6 years left before retiring now. Then I plan on building Buick's..LOL! Yes in regards to the engine it turned out pretty good, it was a scary street car with 579rwhp, I think Lee squeezed 620 out of it with a little tuning the last I heard. Anyhow, I do miss that car! I had to sale it due to me getting orders to Pensacola, FL. There was no way I could take it with me. I know cruzn57 (Lee) has done some wonderful things to it since. I'm sure it's going to be at least a 8-9Sec when he's through with it. Lee's a great guy and a very important part of the Turbo Buick community. Right now I have a 87 Buick WE4 and 64 Buick Special, that I'm working on a budget V8 single turbo set up for it right now running on methanol. I love DonWang theories…. Well gotta get back to class now, chat more later.

Ray

So, you retire in 6 years, but by then buick will have a beastly car by then-using the LS motors and you can tinker even more. GM pretty much will put them in buicks (think RW) cause they will have warehouses full of these engines. Thats good-you still tinkering on your spare (?) time. Hey, I like that 64 special, they make nice 1/4 mile mules (meaning quick). Catch you later when I get back in a wk.

has suspension been upgraded since them 1/4 times?
what will car need to turn 9s as its obvious hp is there!
anyone want to chime in that know the car id appreciate it
mike

Mike: I answered your e.m. before getting on the web, and I hope this will help you decide which way you want to go. There are some guys chatting on this thread who can "chime" in. Also sounds like you have a very nice ride. Thxs again for your interest.
pat

Who Can Vouch For The Car?

Guys, I'm just throwing it out there.

Who can vouch for this car?

Is it mechanically sound?

Has anyone seen it up close?

Any reservations?

Pat stated I can ask openly on this site, so I am.

Bottom Line: What do you think?

Thanks

flip

If I had the resources I would buy this car in a heartbeat.
I am not sure you could duplicate this drive train and the work
at Duttweiler's shop for what he is asking for the car.
Besides an electronic boost controller, or traction control (MoTeC) I am not sure I would do anything to it.

If I had the resources I would buy this car in a heartbeat.
I am not sure you could duplicate this drive train and the work
at Duttweiler's shop for what he is asking for the car.
Besides an electronic boost controller, or traction control (MoTeC) I am not sure I would do anything to it.

Hi John and thanks for the response. Hmmmmm, you seem to speak very highly of the car. Major investment for the capital expenditure.

We'll see what happens.

Any more willing to chime in.

Thanks

flip

Hi John and thanks for the response. Hmmmmm, you seem to speak very highly of the car. Major investment for the capital expenditure.

We'll see what happens.

Any more willing to chime in.

Thanks

flip

Flip,

I saw this care Duttweiler's shop when he was developing the V-8 conversion package. I think he ended up doing a couple of cars like this.
A Duttweiler Twin Turbo V8 is going to cost anywhere between $20,000 to $40,000 depending on the options. Think about this the custom headers and exhaust would cost you around $5,000 alone... I have never personally seen this car go down the track but I can vouch for the engineering and quality of build on the motor.

Best regards,

25K is just a drop in the bucket for what it takes to build a car like this. I bet with all the suspension, cage, trans, motor, wiring, etc. there is 20K worth of labor in it:eek:

25K is just a drop in the bucket for what it takes to build a car like this. I bet with all the suspension, cage, trans, motor, wiring, etc. there is 20K worth of labor in it:eek:

SGRIM, that's really why I was asking about the calculator earlier. I read that there was a 140 mile per hour pass made on the car and the car still went 12.0s or something like that on a 2.0 sixty.

I'm thinking that that alone is good for at least a mid-9 second pass. Is my estimating somewhat correct? Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks

flip

SGRIM, that's really why I was asking about the calculator earlier. I read that there was a 140 mile per hour pass made on the car and the car still went 12.0s or something like that on a 2.0 sixty.

I'm thinking that that alone is good for at least a mid-9 second pass. Is my estimating somewhat correct? Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks

flip

Flip,

This motor made more than 1300HP based off of my failing memory.
You could probably call Margie Duttweiler at 805-659-3648 and
ask about Pat's program.