1986 Frame Off Restoration - who is the expert?

ncbuick

I just started a complete frame off - numbers matching 86 GN - see photos and I have the following questions:

I am looking for an all original GM intake for my 1986 GN that I am restoring. Mine has been welded on and I am restoring the 86 back to factory.

I know that many of the intakes are removed and new after market units are installed?

I am also looking for the original plating that GM used on frame bolts? I have a local bolt platter that is using yellow zinc.......

What paint matches the GM frame paint? TRIM Satin Black?

Anyone know of a vender who sells GM body bushings?

How about GM rear end and suspension bushings.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 229
Hate to say it but most of the GM parts you mentioned are all long discontinued and unavailable from vendors. Your only hope is finding a hoarder that has them or Ebay were you will pay out the ass for them. I will tell you also that most reproduction parts out there are of terrible quality. Moog has stock style rubber bushings that are good quality replacements. Glen from Highway Stars may be of help locating some of what you need. He is the best GM vendor out there. Good luck!

As stated above moog on all the chassis bushings.

GM frame "cushions" are long gone. Kirbans sells an aftermarket kit, go on his site he has a lot of items, Highway Stars is great also.

Here's a link to one I am working on now http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/47k-mile-gn.421525/

I also recommend powdercoating vs paint where possible and specifically the chassis. Much more durable looks awesome.

The frame was never painted, it was covered in cosmoline. That's why they rust as badly as they do. If you want to paint or powder coat it then go with a semi gloss.

I also recommend powdercoating vs paint where possible and specifically the chassis. Much more durable looks awesome.

They all chip eventually. You can't fix powdercoating that I am aware of. My vote would be powerdercoating for a show car and something like POR-15 for just about anything else. I haven't decided on mine yet, but anything beats 25+ year old cosmoline.

To the OP...

I'd love to see where you have your car supported underneath with those jacks, and how it worked out for you. I'm debating trying something similar instead of going through the expense/hassle of buying/making a body cart.

For restoration purposes the sky is the limit even on fasteners. The vette or mopar guys have to meet certain criteria to be considered correct.
These cars are not subject to such unless RC is judging it.....lol. With the advanced coatings available today why would any one want period correct type coating. I know a lot of the judging was allowing new coating as long as it appeared period correct.