1986 Buick GN (I hope)

Autobahn

I stumbled on to this vehicle right before the auction ended on ebay....I tried to do what research I could.....got some answers but not as many as I would have liked and went with a gut feeling and pulled the trigger.....I have NOT seen the vehicle in person yet (about 1000 miles away). Any insight you can offer on how to truly verify if this is a real GN or not would be appreciated. I have always wanted one and looked many times but today was the day apparently. Heck my son knows and my wife doesn't yet so dinner should be interesting!!!

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Buick-...2x%2BMiKySWrsePaHrkmw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thank you for any insight

Ethan

Last edited:
You can call eBay and report it as a misrepresented vehicle and not pay. If you want a 85 clone, the price is about right for one. 85 hot air motors need quite a bit more parts to go fast. If your not interested in going fast, looks like a good cruiser but it will never be a 86 GN.

Drewster on Tapatalk

I take it you were the highest bidding winner of that cloned hotair car listing by your post.
If that is the case, you would be wise to report it to ebay that it is not what it was described as being and get a refund.
The vin # not being correct for a turbo buick v6 car and the engine not being correct for the 86/87 model years Turbo Buicks issue itself should of made anyone walk away from the listing before placing a bid.

In the future if you aren't sure about if you're seeing a real Turbo Regal GN or T-type / T for sale, visit this site http://www.gnttype.org/general/vin.html
as it has the general decoding guide of the vin for buicks from 1983 to 1987 and you'll by the vin be able to at least verify if it's at least a true turbo regal or just a clone.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hope so too, the sad thing is for the money that the clone on ebay bidding amount ended at they could of bought that 1986 wh-1 that is on craigslist in st louis missouri that needed alittle TLC, but it would of been a much better investment of money spent to get that car instead of a clone which would of presented too many paperwork headaches etc. At least they would of made the most of pulling a trigger on something that would be after fixed up worth at least twice or more than the clone would fetch.

It sounds and looks alot better to say you pulled the trigger on a solid 86 wh1 that needs alittle tlc vs a 86 gn clone that isn't 100% correct in being cloned with an engine that is from an 84 or 85 car.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't updated you.....I have appealed to both eBay as well as the seller and since he swears the vehicle is legit he is pressing the matter and has filed the "Non-Paying-Bidder" against me. I have repeatedly asked for proof it is real and offered to back up my bid amount if he could provide the pink slip as well as answers to all of the questions I asked during the auction. All he has done is get more hostile. I am hoping eBay will do the proper research on this but any help such as copies of emails to eBay and/or the seller advising him it was a fake probably wouldn't hurt my case. I will update you as I know more. Worst part of this is the three congratulatory texts from friends that I finally found one I liked and having to rehash the story!!!!

Thank you for being there for me......one day I will have one....

You'll be waiting awhile for that proof it's real... can't u just call the state police and have them vin check it.. future advice, do more research before buying a turbo buick. See what the HA motors look like vs. IC motor and also casting #. The red flag was the pic of the motor and block casting #... don't be afraid to ask questions here. We're all here to help.

I wonder how long he has owned it? Maybe he was tricked and just repeating what he was told. I sure hope ebay comes thru for you. No way someone goes thru the hassel of that kind of engine swap, it def started as a hot air originally. There are quite a few threads on swapping in an intercooled combo and are still trying to figure out all the wiring.

I personally submitted thru eBay ask the seller and informed them,of the vin and engine discrepancy when my question was ignored I submitted through eBay a possible fraud/misrepresentation and did that days before it ended so it should all be on file.

At this point I would probably call the state police and dare the seller to leave feedback.

I contacted him also and told him he was misrepresenting the vehicle. He thanked me for letting him know!

eBay can just look at the vin number to see the 8th number is a "Y" and not a "7". "Y" indicates a 5L V8. Immediate discrepancy since it advertised as a turbo 6
32f0813ae6d640fc72edfd84366f988e.jpg

Drewster on Tapatalk

The best I could tell you is the 8th digit in the vin should be a 7 for the turbo engine and the 10th digit should be a G for the 86 model year. If it has a 9 and a E or F it's a 84-85. That is the easiest way to tell. If it has none of that you can file it on eBay as a improperly described auction.

There is no such thing at titled as a gn, there titled as a t by the vin, we2 option on a t is what makes it a gn.

The late build 87 models were titled as a Grand National (not sure of the build dates guessing oct nov and dec)
All other models are titled as a 19xx Regal

at least in my state

so i am somewhat disappointed in ebay. i got an email from them that they have closed the investigation and sticking me with a non-paying bidder strike....i am fighting it still but even with all of your input eBay must only care about their commission in the end...dont be surprised if it pops up again!!!

The late build 87 models were titled as a Grand National (not sure of the build dates guessing oct nov and dec)
All other models are titled as a 19xx Regal

at least in my state
Thank you for the education, I wonder if this would make any difference insurance wise? both for cost to insure, and payout wise in the event of a loss?

so i am somewhat disappointed in ebay. i got an email from them that they have closed the investigation and sticking me with a non-paying bidder strike....i am fighting it still but even with all of your input eBay must only care about their commission in the end...dont be surprised if it pops up again!!!

Depending on who it was that looked into everything and how knowledgeable they are on cars, what all the seller had submitted to them to cover their butt in the investigation.
You probably are going to be fighting with them for alittle while longer, hopefully ebay will see they made an error in this case and make things right.

In the future, might be a good idea to post up a link to any listings you see before you place a bid or agree to any terms on the listings to get some feedback from other members.
It's probably better for those that don't know as much about these cars to get a car through one of the members of this forum, as a majority are honest and aren't gonna try to sell something that isn't on the up & up. At least you know what to do for the next time you're looking to buy one of these cars.

Wish you Luck in this.