1985 BUICK T wiring help

Robert1mcssgn

Fellas need a hand, my engine is almost ready to fire up but still need to figure out what and where these wires go... there's a wire that comes off the alt... where does that tie upto ? The green wire comes off the intake under a bolt as pictured again, no clue ? Two grey wires come off a sensor of some sort that on the Rh side of the intake... what are those for and the sensor (as pictured ) last but not least that wire with the plastic connector right under the coil pack ? I'm lost... haven't started engine yet so don't have any symptoms to go after car still needs an exhaust which is coming next week... thanks fellas

Attachments

• 1425709404427.jpg
    1425709404427.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 1425709414164.jpg
    1425709414164.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 1425709423571.jpg
    1425709423571.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 1425709434283.jpg
    1425709434283.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 1425709445255.jpg
    1425709445255.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 120
Looks like they are add ons by a previous owner. The plug is a fuel pump test wire (it's factory so leave it alone). It's there to run a jumper wire to the pump for testing. Just make sure it's out of the way of belts and not grounding on the engine. The others went to some gauges most likely. The brass fitting on the manifold with the hard plastic line is for a aftermarket boost gauge. You will find lots of this r2d2 throw up laying around in these cars from previous owners. If your 100% sure it is not being used remove it.

Thanks for that so the green plug I'll just tuck it under the harness and zip tie it and that one is out of the way, the brass fitting with the hard plastic line is for my boost gauge but I'm referring to the one behind that one to the right a lil bit... what's that one for, has two grey wires coming off it ? The alternator one ? And the green wire screwed into a manifold bolt...

So . . . Looking at it from 1500 miles away. . . .

The green connector is for aftermarket tach. leave it unplugged and secure away from the belts. Typically it ends up on ghe DS next to the power steering pump.

The two gray cut wires are supposed to go to a single plug . . . To manually run the fuel pump by applying battery voltage. The connector is typically right next to the green tach connector.

The wire from the alternator is supposed to connect to a brown wires in the harness. Cut the double terminated crap off and run/solder a new wire from/to the small brown wire in the harness.

The green wire with ring connector is probably to the temp light. need to chase it. if you ground it KOEO and the light in the dash illuminates, upi found it.

Last but not least . . . . Since someone modified/hacked the harness . . . I would open it up a bit and make sure it is all still good and SOLID . . . . or it will never run right.

Last edited:
Ok so the green connector is not for the is not the fuel pump tester... but for an after market tach ? It does come out of the engine harness...

The two grey wires that r cut and connected to the sensor on the manifold I should then just remove them then ?why would they be connected to a sensor that's tapped into the manifold ? Ok I suppose I'll just remove the wires but leave the sensors as is...

The alternator wire does look like crap I agree ima cut that off and rewire it to make it look nice and will look into the harness for that brown wire... what's the purpose of this connection ? And why would the end have a ring connector I wonder why or what previous owner did with that...

The green wire with ring connector also comes off a manifold bolt that's it... I don't think it's a light anywhere it looks like a ground to me since it's coming off the intake only. It's in the pic with he yellow connector right under the vacuum hardlines...

Jerryl. .. thanks for the pointers I will definatley inspect the harness for any screw ups