1984 Buick T Type, no spark

2002covtz28

Hello guys, I'm new here and trying to get my 1984 Buick T Type started. First, yes I used search option but didnt narrow down what I was looking for. Hoping the experts here can help out a newbie to these cars.

Ok here's the problem, not getting any spark, car will not start obviously. I disconnected a spark plug wire and connected a sparkplug to it and did not see any spark. I know I am getting fuel as I tested fuel rail.

Is there a way to test the CCCI coil? Thanks for the help guys.

There are 4 basic possibles here. Bad coil, bad module, crank sensor, and the one no one thinks about, bad ignition switch. The switch is the cheapest to test for but it may take 2 people to do it. Inside the ignition switch are 2 sets of contacts. One for run and one for start. Turn the key to the on position and jump the starter by hand so the engine spins over. If you get spark then that's the problem.

Second would be to check the crank sensor visually to see if it's damaged in any way. It happens and if you remove it you may see where it's been hit once in a while by the reluctor ring.

Third, you can pull the module off and have it tested at most chain auto parts stores.

Now that I've gone through 3 of the possible problems, at the top of this section is a sticky that goes through most of the diagnosis for a HA set up.;)

Awesome, thanks so much for all the good info, just got started on list of things to check and noticed the the crank sensor had a broken piece. I'm not familiar with this part so I will describe the best I can. It's at the crank pulley and has what looks like a slot that let's the crank spin a piece in the middle of. Well on of those metal pieces are broken off, but wires are all in great shape, would this cause it? Thanks again

Yikes, sound like a pain to get, I took a couple pics , it's missing a metal piece.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 247
It's broken, and if I remember right they're discontinued now. You might want to go pay a visit to GNTtype.org and do some reading. There's tons of tech over there and I think there's even 1 or 2 specific to using a later crank sensor for a HA car. You have to take the wires out of the plug you have now and re-arrange them I believe, and then use the 86 up sensor.