1982 GN Question

You can get the A pillar gauge holders from our vendors here like Kirbans and TR performance. The links to their pages are at the bottom of the homepage here.

People will laugh at you because no one associates a V6 with performance. They think if you don't have a V8, then you don't have anything.

Those same people also still think Chevy double hump heads are the best heads on the market and haven't gotten out of 1960's technology....yet.

But those same people would have a "WTF" look on their face if they were ever taken by an LC2 V6.

The 3.8 liter was used in RWD Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix, even some Montes had them....BUT here's the catch....all Buick 3.8's were front distributor driven....if it's rear distributor it's a Chevy 3.8. Not the same engine.

Also I believe the full size RWD cars like Delta 88 and Le Sabre came with the 3.8 in them.

And if you get lucky enough to see one of these short lived cars....the 76-80 RWD Sunbird, Skyhawk, Starfire and I think even Monza....all came with the 3.8's.

Make sure you look for the RWD cars I just mentioned. The FWD's won't work.

They started making 3.8's as early as 1975.

Here's a 79 Regal for $500 on Ft. Worth/Dallas CL. It says it has a bad head....maybe the bottom end is good and you can reuse your heads?:

1979 buick regal

Here's a 3.8 V6 someone has for sale for $200 on the Ft. Worth/Dallas CL and it even comes with a tranny:

Regal/Cutlass V6 Engine

bad azz i dident even think about craigs list how can you tell if its one off those 109 blocks

109 blocks were in 1986/1987 cars that had the rwd 3.8 Buick V6 engine. Look for the 20 bolt oil pan (note - some late model 85 blocks have 20 bolt oil pans BUT are not the 109 casting. Still good blocks ). At one time I was at the same place as you with an 82 GN. The plan was to do a full 86/87 LC2 conversion. Money wise a 4.1 blow throu would be a lot cheaper. Still may do an 82 conversion one day, local guy just put his up for sale & I have everthing needed for the transplate conversion.

bad azz i dident even think about craigs list how can you tell if its one off those 109 blocks

Should it really matter though? even between an N/A block and the boosted one the drain boss is really all that is helpful. and modifying the head bolt holes makes the earlier block a suitable canidate for big power, and 14 bolt parts are as common as 20s

just grab the best core for the money. The main thing to look for is not the block but the crank IMHO...... the Turbo crank is the key to the life at power. spend the money you would use finding that virgin 109 on a quality crank. there was a thread on drilling and threading the drain on non drain blocks in the engine tech section.

hope that helps.

A.j.

I don't have a 109 in my buick, it still hauls ass;) Just start with a good crank at most 10/10 and 2 dot rods. ARP main studs and rod bolts-there's your solid short block. Unless you go with 2 turbos, Then you might have to spend some real money.

WOW i have to say buick has really impressed me i bough me a book from barnes and nobble and started reading it impressive i have to say i never thought a buick engine could stand especially a 350 buick block they say can support 1000+hp with without any block enhacements nice

and the bulldog block 455 with a 4.5 bore and 4.5inches of stroke makes it a 573 ci beast damn im impressed .

i was reading up and it said that in 85 they can out with the new block 20 bolt oil pan but it say that the 1978-1984 units will not fit the 85 block anyone one know why it dosent say in the book

i was reading the book and they show a picture of the block were the lifter valley is and its the same as my block so turns out that my block is actually reusable with some machine work but why would they make those big ass holes in the lifter valley

me neither im in the process of building my motor..i have the crank in and 4 pistons. Im waiting for the machine shop to reopen so i can get my 2 connecting rods installed on the pistons...Im so curious about the performance of this thing that im actually rushing....

your building that 3.8 na to carb/turbo set up. yea im starting to rush my project to im just tired of seeing it sit in the driveway covered up while i search for parts

i finally found me a 83 turbo compete engine for 500 guy says it runs but if i do the swap should it be just straight forward does the 83 use any type of computers or anything for ignition just hook up my switch give it power and go, i take it its a mechanical fuel pump mounted to the block help me out guys

does the 83 motor use anytype of computers i know my 82 had one in the lower right kick panel but all that was there were two connectors so i dont know what that one is for

Good as gold! Get a hold of turbofish to work out the details. I don't know how the ecm is gonna work but hang on to both if you get one with it that way when you upgrade to the overdrive you can swap the 83 ecm and you got yourself full 83 drivetrain, aside from 3.42 gears:)

okay cool but will the 83 3.8 run with out the ecm? u know like a v8 give it ignition a gas source and go all mechanical