1980 Buick Century Turbo......Sedan!

Spdrcer34

How many Century Sedans were made in 1980 that had a Turbo 3.8L?

I have the opportunity to buy one, and wanted to know what it is that I am buying.

Is this considered an A/G-body? Or something else?

This Century looks more like a Malibu 4dr, where as the Regal looks more like a Cutlass 4 door

Ryan

Hi, 1980 Century is considered to be a G-Body like are the Regal, Cutlass, Malibu...but in 1982 it have changed for A-body because of the front wheel drive.

You got a difficult question. Nobody knows how many Turbo Sedan Century was made in 1980. It have been surely made but check if all seem to be stock. If yes, it's surely a rare one as there was not so many Century with a turbo those years.

take a look also on the before black web site, you should find great infos too http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/

The body designation from GM for the Century/Regal body series was 4A from 1973 through 1981. In 1982 Buick introduced the front wheel drive Century and it retained the body designation 4A. The Regal became its own body series 4G from 1982 through 1987 and included the four door model and wagon for 82-84.

In 1979/80 you could buy the turbo motor in any Century model except the wagon, in the Riviera S or standard, but for some reason in the Regal and LeSabre it was limited to only the Sport Coupe models.

No body has ever come up with a number of turbo motors installed in standard versions of the Buicks during these years, but one of the turbo four door Centuries turns up every once and a while. I have only seen one.

The carb/tubo cars have yet to establish any collector status and odd balls like these four doors are so far under the radar that they aren't even carried in a price book.

If you like the car, buy it. And have fun driving something pretty rare that only other turbo Buick owners will understand. The only real value will come from how much you like it.

If you decide not to buy it, pass the information on. Some of us are always looking for an odd ball. That is one reason I hold on to my LeSabre Sport Coupe. You don't see too many.

Buick Turbo

I have a 79 LeSabre Turbo, can't seem to download pictures of it but it is in Hemmings Muscle Car magazine this month.

Dean

Dean, that's a nice looking car. :) They did a very nice write up and were accurate with thier facts. I like that they stuck to the car and didn't get sidetracked by the 84/87 Turbo Regals. I was very surprised to see a carb/turbo Buick in there. I think it's great for a magazine to cover these types of odd-balls. :D

If we can find some on-line pictures, and it's OK with you, I'd love to add them to the Before Black website. Looks like Hemmings hasn't yet updated their site with this month's issue.

The White '79 LeSabre SC on Before Black site also had 4-wheel disc brakes. It's was loaded with options if I remember correctly.