1978 regal rear end it is the same as 1987 gn

tybob

i try to find a rear end 8.5 and i found one from a regal 1978 ! it is the same of a gn 1987 ! ......if not what is the diference ! thay look the same !what kind of car is the same rear end of the tr's (year and model ) thanks

If it has the 3.42:1 ratio, it should work fine and won't change anything with regards to your computer/trans/speedo. The posi rear-end was an option on the TR(still had the same ratio). Look for the same rear-end(8.5") in Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix. If the car has a 200 4r trans, the chances are better it will have the correct ratio as well.

ok , but it is the same size back plate to back plate ! and the ear on the top of the rear end it is the same angle ! the hosing is the same ! for the gear i can change but i wnot make sure is the same hosing ! thanks

what is the size back plate to back plate of a tr's ,i dont try the cover ! the rear of the 78" is on a scrap yard ! i want buy it to my 87 t-type but i want make sure is the same of the original 8.5 ! same axel too ! can i see a code on those rear end !

I think so too, and the monte, grand prix and cutlass all at the 7.5 rear. Only the 442 in the mid 80s got the 8.5 other than the TR.

SHO NUFF! I've always just thought of them as "10 bolts" for the last 30 years(and 12 bolts in the big-block cars), and forgot about the different possible sizes. DUH!!