1978 Pontiac Sunbird (Vega like)

fuzzyGN

You are looking at the classic Pontiac Sunbird. It is an H-body which is the same platform as the Vega and Monza which means it is very light weight. Great platform for a hybrid project. This car is offered in three different formats. Regardless of which is chosen the car includes: front and rear sway bars, 7.5 Chevy rear (same as S-10), ralley wheels (Vega GT like), TH-350 auto trans, stock in-dash tach, black interior, 2" exhaust with dual flowmasters, power steering but a manual box is available, and the car originally was equipped with the GT like package. I don't remember what it was called but it has the gauges, steering wheel suspension, etc. The car is complete but it is not all original. It appears some parts came from other cars. There is no body rust what-so-ever which is extremely rare on these cars. The driver’s floorboard does have some rust but it appears to be an easy fix. This car has been in the SW all its life. The car has not run in a few years so it needs some attention.

OK, so onto the 3 options.
Option 1. Complete running car. The car has a 109 block 3.8L with ported heads, H-body full length headers (VERY rare), 4bbl intake and carb. This option would be $900 plus whatever parts would be required to get it running. It appears it needs a battery, tires, tune-up parts and maybe a few other incidentals. The labor would be basically free.

Option 2. Complete car with the engine above, but not running. This would be for those who want to make a hybrid and don't care if it runs or not. This option would also be $900.

Option 3. Complete roller. I would remove and keep the 109 engine and headers. This option would be $600. I do have available a set of stock V8 motor plates and mounts for additional cost if a SBC drivetrain is desired. Let me know if more pictures are need or if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.

Some pictures:

Attachments

• CIMG4799.JPG
    CIMG4799.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 257
  • CIMG4801.JPG
    CIMG4801.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 265
  • CIMG4805.JPG
    CIMG4805.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 257
  • CIMG4806.JPG
    CIMG4806.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
To answer a couple of questions:
Yes, I have a clear title for the car
Car is located in Southern New Mexico and yes NM is part uf the United States, right next to Texas as a matter of fact.
The engine has a 206 206 flat tappet cam
Yes the pictures are not great but it actually snowed here this weekend so I didn't feel like those pictures would be any better :D

The text is still there but it must be the same color (now) as the background. Not sure how to fix it but if you highlight it (click and drag the mouse) the post can be read. Hopefully a moderator can help with a permanent repair.

Some pictures:
Original Text
You are looking at the classic Pontiac Sunbird. It is an H-body which is the same platform as the Vega and Monza which means it is very light weight. Great platform for a hybrid project. This car is offered in three different formats. Regardless of which is chosen the car includes: front and rear sway bars, 7.5 Chevy rear (same as S-10), ralley wheels (Vega GT like), TH-350 auto trans, stock in-dash tach, black interior, 2" exhaust with dual flowmasters, power steering but a manual box is available, and the car originally was equipped with the GT like package. I don't remember what it was called but it has the gauges, steering wheel suspension, etc. The car is complete but it is not all original. It appears some parts came from other cars. There is no body rust what-so-ever which is extremely rare on these cars. The driver’s floorboard does have some rust but it appears to be an easy fix. This car has been in the SW all its life. The car has not run in a few years so it needs some attention.

OK, so onto the 3 options.
Option 1. Complete running car. The car has a 109 block 3.8L with ported heads, H-body full length headers (VERY rare), 4bbl intake and carb. This option would be $900 plus whatever parts would be required to get it running. It appears it needs a battery, tires, tune-up parts and maybe a few other incidentals. The labor would be basically free.

Option 2. Complete car with the engine above, but not running. This would be for those who want to make a hybrid and don't care if it runs or not. This option would also be $900.

Option 3. Complete roller. I would remove and keep the 109 engine and headers. This option would be $600. I do have available a set of stock V8 motor plates and mounts for additional cost if a SBC drivetrain is desired. Let me know if more pictures are need or if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.

Just an update. The car runs but the carb needs a kit. I will probably get the carb done this weekend. Obviously the car is still available and hungry for a new home :)

Erik: How hard would it be to convert the 109 block over to 1987 turbo/FI trim?

J

The only thing the N/A block is missing from the turbo block is the turbo drainback hole. Some drill and tap the block in the stock location while others put the drain into the pan. The internals (pistons rods crank) are not necessarily turbo spec but there are people on the Hybrid forum who have slapped their FI intake on a stock N/A 109 and let er rip. In a light car it would probably work. I say not necessarily because some had rolled fillet cranks and 2 dot rods. The pistons will be different. If you had an extra top end I think it would be a fun experiment. If (when) you broke it, it wouldn't have cost much to begin with.

The car is in Las Cruces which is about 40 miles North of El Paso Texas or about 225 miles South of Albuquerque.

I still want this thing like a cop wants a dozen doughnuts. If its still around this summer i might seriously start looking at transport services.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It will be a great project for whomever ends up with it. You just don't see those cars around anymore...