1911 opinion/options

boostfreak

knock? is that good?
Hey guys. Going to add a 1911 to the stable soon. I've owned a commander sized .45 in the past and liked it (should have never sold it). Decided to get back on the 1911 horse and wanted to hear some opinions. I'll most likely pick up something in the Springfield/Kimber range. I was thinking about Nighthawk, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop that much coin on one yet. What brands are your "go to's" in the 1911 platform and why? What features do you prefer (full length guide rod, internal/external extractor, checkering, etc)? Anyone carry commander sized versus full size? I will most likely get a dust cover with a light rail, but I'm not 100 percent on it yet. Just wondering what your idea of a good to go 1911 is. Thanks in advance.

I'm not gonna lie. I wasn't even tracking that Ruger rolled out a 1911. It sounds vaguely familiar now, but I honestly don't remember. From what I read so far, it looks like a lot of gun for the price. Thanks for the tip!

love the kimber 1911 very nice firearm. flawless performance at the range. one of the sweetest in my collection.

Actually, I'm looking at a Kimber. Local dealer has a Super Carry Pro. Has a lot of features for the price. I'm really digging the bobtail too. I hear mixed things about Kimber. You either love them or hate them it seems. I was impressed handling it. The fit was tighter than I expected for a production gun. I guess that's where the "custom shop" part comes in.

Ive owned alot of springfield 1911's i have never had one problem. Be carefull of different 1911 manufacturers ie ruger smith they are series 80 and have extra parts. You want series 70. Springfiield is the first us gun manufacturer. Lifetime guarantee. Any problems they will fix without question. I swear by them and when i used to work at a gun range i would recommend them . I currently just ordered the springfield t.r.p. But i also want the light weight operator.

I really like the light weight champion operator. Full length guide rod is always good for accuracy. Ive had my front strap checkered on all my 1911's 20 lpi. It keeps the gun nice and secure. Seems a little rough at first.

Well Oliver, I guess great minds think alike. The commander sized 1911 I referred to in the original post was in fact a Springfield Champion Lightweight Operator. I loved the balance of it. I traded it in for a FNP-45 Tactical. The FN is a great gun, but I missed the Springer as soon as I let it go. I agree, great guns. I thought about buying another one and bobtailing it myself. I don't know why, but I really want a bobtail. Feels good in my hand and reduces printing ( I believe).

You have good taste my friend. When i worked at the gun range we had a dan wesson 1911 with a bob tail. It was very nice but crazy expensive 2300 or something. If i had that money i would buy the springfield HRT FBI pro model. You can make any 1911 custom they sell so many parts.

Im going to have springfield take off the extra length of the take down lever that protrudes through to the right side and they bevel the frame also makes it a little custom and keeps your finger from rubbing it .

Nice. Small touches. I think that speaks volumes about the 1911 platform. Most are so nice "out of the box" that all they need are little touches. I looked at the Dan Wesson's, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to put that much down on a carry gun. One day though...

I agree. The dan wesson and wilson combat models are nice. Too expensive for this guy. Maybe if i sold a couple of mine. I really want the hrt pro model made by hand for the fbi its very nice but 2300 ive seen them up tp 3000.

I think the hrt model is pc9111. If i only had the money.i talked to the girl over at springfield she was saying they are so backed up on orders. The fbi model is hand made when you or i order one or the fbi orders one they do not tell the builder which one goes where so hopefully they are all just as nice as each other.

You get what you pay for... There are several nice 1911 out at decent prices right now. As mentioned above the ruger is NICE.... For the money it is hard to beat... Kimber are nice, I am not very fimilar with them.... Sig makes some nice ones, or of course you can order a nighthawk custom and be the baddest sob on the block:D

Trust me Shane, if my pockets were a little deeper I would definitely be on the nighthawk train. I had the pleasure of handling a GRP recon. Soooo nice. I was looking at the new Bob Marvel model...until I saw the price. Sticker shock was an understatement, haha.

Gary, thanks for the advice. I have been over to that forum a few time. Lots of good info.