$18000 of disposable income, what car do you buy?

86turboSix

Mr. BuzzCut
Come December I will have 18k to spend on the car of my choosing, what would you get?
Right now im torn between a '67 RS Camaro and a well-done GN, what would you do? I'm open to anything:D:D:D

I would keep saving and add 7k to it and buy mine...........:biggrin:

oh how i wish i could rmar, the money will be a loan worth that much and 18k is my absolute limit right now!

I would take the Camaro, or a Chevy II :biggrin:, also with 18K you can find a reliable GTO or C5 vette with a LS engine, lol.

A very well done late 60's to early 70's muscle machine. Find a motivated seller and buy more than you can build. Goodluck

What are you buying a dd or something to cruise on the weekends, something to take to the track ? If it were me id buy a car someone spent a lot of $ on and is now hurtin for $ spend like 12k on the car 6k making it your own and keep the other 2k for maintainence ...

1st car, buy something for 8k and keep the rest for insurance payments and repair/maintenance.

a sick DD, for that kind of money i think i can get a classic that has most of the kinks worked out, the loan is 25 so im not spending it all on the car itself

its a DD,dont forget to get snow tires,chains,shovel,sand bags,blankets,flares,i could go on,but i think you get the point---i hope..

well i don't plan to drive this in winter, i live with two roomates who are both willing to give me a ride where i need to go so hopefully i could minimize driving in bad weather, at least while im still in IN

I would spend as little as possible and not make it a goal to borrow or spend that much unless you find a screamin deal on a very well done car. If it's gonna be a DD though, I think you got too high of a budget for a TR. No use buying one that's worth more than 8-12k if it's going to get run down. NOT saying you won't take care of it, but the sun takes it's toll on the plastic stuff pretty fast when it's this old. Add to that the parking lot rash, potential dickheads with keys, etc. I'd honestly buy a 6-8k t type that's a light color and presents ok but not so nice that you worry about it. Trust me you will enjoy it more. Light colors stay clean easier and it's easier to hide the flaws to the casual observer. Also don't buy one with t tops. They're ok on a weekend cruiser but day in/day out they'll be pissing you off in less than a week. There's lots of modern stuff out there to make these cars pretty reliable as long as it's not subjected to detonation. The powermaster brakes can be converted, the maf upgraded, bailey's got a new CNP coil/module comin out, etc.

If you show a turbo buick a picture of a salted icy road, it will instantly rust clear up to the door handles. Might also invest in a winter beater/backup vehicle.

If you spend 18k on it, and you
-Dont have a locked garage every night
-Plan on parking it unattended outside at home or in public places - mall, social events, sporting events, etc,
-plan on dd and being reliable

I would not buy a GN or anything classic or I feel we will be seeing a post from you in a few months in the stolen rides section. That is just my opinion though.
Plenty of 04-06 gto, 05-08 V8 grand prix, montes etc or even a newer stang/camaro are still pretty quick and are normally able to do all those things I named and still be everyday reliable.

to clarify,
-locked garage
-safe neighborhood
-low mile commute to school, could see road trips being a mile eater
-military-most likely stationed in So CA in the next 18mo

for awhile i looked at the latest gen GTOs, why buy the ugly australian model when i could spend as much money and get something with a little heritage?
my expectations- motor 8/10 and body 6-7/10...

my expectations- motor 8/10 and body 6-7/10...

You have low expectations. 18k will get you a f***in' nice car in this economy. Shop around. Hell my car meets or beats your expectations, it's not even for sale but $16k would talk me out of it pretty damn easily. But it's got t tops.

Buy a turbo regal that isn't black! It will get way less attention (the bad kind of attention) and look clean for longer than 10 minutes. Keep in mind that the nicest turbo buick on earth will still require more maintenance than a 00-newer anything.

Dont waste your money on one of these junkers...get a clean 4th gen camaro or ta....so much more fun and faster...and you will have money left over for mods. These cars will nickel and dime you to death....unless of course you love pain and headaches....then get a TR..:D

Dont waste your money on one of these junkers...get a clean 4th gen camaro or ta....so much more fun and faster...and you will have money left over for mods. These cars will nickel and dime you to death....unless of course you love pain and headaches....then get a TR..:D

That oughta stir something up

There are a lot of nice cars out there for lower money than your willing to spend. I was seriously considering a 2000 Camaro SS convertible. The guy was asking 12,500 and I'm pretty sure I could of gotten it for 11,500. The car was bone stock, perfect condition with 47k miles. Would of been reliable and fun just not as quick as my GN.The best thing you can do in this situation is take your time and drive as many cars as you can. With this economy you can get a great deal on a real nice car.