17 inch wheels - Size, backspacing, and fit

JadeMonkeyStang

TRs on the Brain
Hi all,

I know that everyone will tell me to search but I have and can't find a decisive (or even semi-decisive) answer on this.

I'm looking to put a new set of 17s on the the GN. At the same time I'll be doing new Edelbrock IAS shocks and Eibach ProKit springs, so the car may sit about 1" lower after it settles (or not, as my 20 year old springs have probably sagged a bit). At any rate I'm trying to determine the correct backspacing and other factors needed to make sure I don't get any rubbing and everything sits in the wheel well the right way. I do not want to have to notch the frame or roll the lip to make the new combo fit either.

So here's what I would like to know:

1) How wide of a wheel can I use in the front and in the back?

2) What backspacing do I need to make sure the wheels don't rub and are positioned correctly in the wheel well? Can the same backspacing be used for both the front and rear wheels?

3) What size tires should I run on these wheels to get the proper contact patch and avoid problems with rubbing or fitment? I want bigger tires in the back; what is the largest (width/height) I can safely go? I don't want pizza cutters in the front either, just a good front for the street.

4) I'm thinking of going with the MT ET Street Drag Radials if P275/40R17 tires will fit in the back without issues. These are supposed to be on a 17x9 at the smallest, any problems with that wide of a wheel?

My car is primarily a street car but it only gets driven when I feel like taking it out. I'm willing to sacrifice tread life to run drag radials as I like the look and having the traction when I need it.

Thanks in advance all.

-Jade

You won't have an any problem with a 9inch rear. I am running 17X8 in front with 245/45/17's and 17X9 in rear with 275/40/17's. I have a 0 offset. The front touch but only when turned full left to right, could be remedied with a 40 series or a 235, but not a problem.

7 or 8 inch wide in the front and 9 in the back will work fine. You can toy a bit with the backspacing depending on how much of a "lip" you want the wheels to have, how far you want them to sit into/out of the wheel well, etc.

If you want a no-brainer just make the backspacing half off the full width. 8s in front with 4" backspacing and 9s in the rear with 4.5".

You won't have an any problem with a 9inch rear. I am running 17X8 in front with 245/45/17's and 17X9 in rear with 275/40/17's. I have a 0 offset. The front touch but only when turned full left to right, could be remedied with a 40 series or a 235, but not a problem.

Do you have any pics of your car with the 17's on it. Also like to see the paint job.

Wow talk about a quick response time. You must be killing people at the lights. Just kidding. Your car looks real good. Are those the hotwheels 68's?

I run 4" bs on the front 17x8s(245/45)
4.75" bs on the rear 17x9.5s (275/40)
This looks tough and doesn't rub. I run a Eibach prokit as well.
Check my cardomain site.