16 volt system

pdzz

fixing something
Is there any issue with running a 16 volt battery, and alternator with a classic FAST? The reason I'm asking, is... I've got a pump controller, boost controller, etc. Voltage PK my logs last year were around 13.2-13.3, at wide open. I finished installing yesterday, started ran great! When the fans kicked on, they were moving some air!!! Well, after I shut it down, went to re-start a while later, I noticed it was missing. Isolated it to cylinder three. No spark. Tried another coil, wire.. no better. I am going to borrow the module from my son's car today, but, was wondering if the extra voltage is causing the damage, or just a coincidence??? If anyone has encountered this, please, let me know. Maybe I should install a resistor to module voltage??? Thanks, Phil..

From our knowledgeable friend John at JS...........

.In this design, the current limit point cannot be changed without cutting into the module, which is not practical.
At low RPM, there is plenty of dwell time available to achieve seven amps of coil current, where the limiter kicks in. If current limit is reached, then the energy stored in the coil cannot be further increased.
At high RPM, the dwell time may be insufficient to achieve seven amps of coil current. This is where the improvement can be realized.
Supplying the coils from a 16v battery, or 20v from a Boost-A-Spark, will let the coils reach seven amps in a shorter time.
Note that this will only bring the stored energy up to the design value, but not beyond. Still, it may be enough of an increase to make a difference.

It may be a heat related issue not voltage , I know the coil packs usually fail from heat.

Thanks, Norbs. I know it's not the coil, I tried the one off of my wife's car. Turns out 3-6 are both dead. I'm going to try another module. I unplugged the injectors for those cylinders, drove it back in the hauler. I'm thinking it was pure coincidence. Phil.

New module fixed the skip. Hopefully, new one won't fail, those aren't cheap.. Phil.

Its quite common for them to fail at any time , that's why I went to distributor set up.

I have a stage two project that is going to be coil on plug, from Cal. I'm just looking to get a few passes this year with the 109. I'm going to dyno the engine with the XFI out of car. Figure I'll save myself some headaches, before the engine goes in. Phil.